Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
yukonpete
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

What pump do you guys use on the Dubro inflatable wheels?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Default RE: Dubro inflatable wheels. What pump??

I have heard air pumps work great -All kidding aside I guess a reg bike or football type one or the other would work as ya sure dont need a gas station pump for them
Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ilooked them up on Tower and the have a "pump" that "Might work" in the tech specs. If they are anything like the old ballon tires, you can blow them up with your mouth.They don't require much more than a couple PSI for full inflation. I expect these are a bit more advanced, as they have a valve like a footballor basket ball. A hand pump for either of those two balls should work OK. Just a guess though based on the advertisments on tower.

Don

Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mouth when off the plane but I have a small electric pump I removed fom one of those auto jump start systems when they are on a plane. One little squirt is all it takes.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about using the hand pump like those used to pump up retracts?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The true Dubro inflatables have a brass valve molded in the tire as in the first picture and requires inflator fitting to actuate the valve in the tire. This fitting comes with the inflatable wheels.

The middle picture shows the pump Dubro sold years ago it has no valves on it the valve in the tire is actuated by the fitting on the hose in this picture. As noted Retract pumps with the fitting added work well for this.

To use a bicyle pump the schrader valve actuator would need to be removed at the fitting adapted. I recomend not using a compressed air source or any big pump since the quantity of air added is minisucle and the small hand pumps work just right for feeling the pressure and making adjustments. Also you may not always want to use any pressure in the Dubros depending on the airplane.

The tire mentioned that you blow up by your mouth are the wooden Trexlers and after the air is blown in through the umbilical it is tied in a knot and tucked between the tire and wheel.

But Blowing them up by mouth is a bad idea since moisture in your breath quickly can rot the vary thin rubber. In stead better using the same kind of pumps you would use on the dubro inflatables.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56315.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1393728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49564.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1393729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87702.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1393730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68719.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1393731  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
opjose

My retract pump came with a fitting that works perfectly with the Dubro inflating wheels.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

The first thing I do is deflate the tire, drill holes about 1/16 diameter around the tire. This makes for a great soft landing tire.
It absorbs the impact, not the gear itself. I bought the little hand pump they sell from Dubro,around 15 bucks and I'll give it to ya, you don't need the pump. If you want strong rigid tires, I have about 50 foam tire's I want to get rid of, that came with the ARF's, I don't like them myself.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Gray Beard

Mine came with a fitting, I just plug it in and poof some air into them. I haven't used the Trexlers in years but they did what they were supposed to do. Always looked like something out of a cartoon though.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John Buckner gave you some very good advice. Never blow up the tires by blowing your breath into them as it will definitely deteriorate the rubber in a short time.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

OLD THREAD,, But it gave me some ideas. worked very well.
Using my Motorcycle Front fork Air pump that seals
itself when removed so there is no loss of air.

JB Welded a air stem into the dubro air adapter.

Tested this morning worked very well. on my
4.5 inch tire it showed 1 lbs in each tire.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74224.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1847447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38947.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1847448  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:01 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Cougar-RCU

OLD THREAD,, But it gave me some ideas. worked very well.
Using my Motorcycle Front fork Air pump that seals
itself when removed so there is no loss of air.

JB Welded a air stem into the dubro air adapter.

Tested this morning worked very well. on my
4.5 inch tire it showed 1 lbs in each tire.

Gee!! I don't think I want to go out and buy a motorcycle to get the front forks. . I just bought a set of 5" at a swap meet yesterday new in package 3 yankee green backs. But the real deal was a new in box dynatron with a miller 3" cone, however it set me back 40.00 bucks.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
jetmech05

I use a bike trie pump
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Default dubro inflatables

I have just been trying to inflate some wheels, with the pump pictured above, but no luck. Pumping takes some effort, with the fitting screwed in, but the tyre doesnt seem to firm up at all ..Any idea what I am doing wrong please?

jp
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Jp I would first confirm the wheel you have is actually a Dubro wheel and not some sort of china copy that may actually be missing the brass valve
with flapper in the tire.

John
Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

A pic of your set up would be a good thing, and what john has said is great, I have found that even a dubro can be bad from the start and not hold air.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
jp928

I have 2 new sets, 4": and 5" . both new, branded Dubro, and with valves I can screw the fitting into. Both behave the same way. Original old pump, with resistance......
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got some 4 inch inflatables and they definitely need a pump to get to any kind of hardness to carry the weight of my 44cc Tartan twin. Looks like I will be adapting one of my mountain bike shock pumps tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:38 AM
flyinwalenda

I gave up on these tires. I had two sets and both leaked. If they didn't leak the valves would fail. After dumping dollars into them my last shot was to inject them with Slime. Made them a bit heavier but they were on a 37lb plane anyway. After leaking again I gave them away and bought the Dubro Treaded Lightweight wheels. They are expensive but they hold the weight of the plane and don't go flat or get flat spots. No more Dubro inflatables for me. Good luck if you use them.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I gave up on these tires. I had two sets and both leaked. If they didn't leak the valves would fail. After dumping dollars into them my last shot was to inject them with Slime. Made them a bit heavier but they were on a 37lb plane anyway. After leaking again I gave them away and bought the Dubro Treaded Lightweight wheels. They are expensive but they hold the weight of the plane and don't go flat or get flat spots. No more Dubro inflatables for me. Good luck if you use them.
Yeah, I already have regrets of having this inflatable, and just got it yesterday. My mains are 5 inch Dubro Treaded Lightweight wheels and those are great tires. If I can find some injectable insulation foam, the inflatable is getting filled.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Gray Beard

Mine leak too but it's over time, I don't need to pump them back up every week. If they are down I just give them a pump or two and they are fine. I got a new DuBro hand pump I found in a box of stuff I was given and now use that.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I'm with you. I've had terrible luck with these tires on heavier models. Like you, I have found that the TL series has proved to be a better option.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 AM
JohnBuckner

I have two airplanes with the Dubro 5 inch inflatable smoothies, The first is a Great Planes ARF Pt-17 with a 1.20 OS FS that I use as a glider tug. The four inch stock rock hard wheels made those super smooth touch downs a bit of a challenge. This ia around a twelve pound airplane. The 5 inflatibles were the answer and made the airplane a joy. Originally I did pump them up but later found that just letting all the air out made them even better on this airplane. When I was keeping air in them I found they were about like Gray Beard's experience with them and any leaking was simply a few pumps of dubro pumps every once in a while.

The other airplane I fly often with the same five inch inflatable is my 112 inch 1974 Super Buccineer, powered by an OS 30 cc engine and I do not know the weight its way beyond any of my scales and just too difficult to weight at each wheel. I believe it is in the 'hood' at some thing over 30 pounds This airplane excels with the same inflatables believe it or not with no air and yes they do squash a bit but for this airplane that is entirely in character.

Its kinda funny as folks now will pay a big premium for a set of trexlers that need to be inflated every outing and deflated every outing, that even required pulling out an umbilical to blow up and then tie a knot before stuffing it back under the tire!

I gues its just like prop selection for any airplane wheels selection is just as important and definitely not 'one size fits all'. I love the dubro inflatable smoothies on the right airplane.

John
Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Victory Pete

Inflating 6" Dubro Inflatable Tires
[HR][/HR] I bought a pair of 6" Dubro Inflatables and a Robart 164G pump. I cannot get the tire to hold any pressure. I called Robart and they said their pumps have no check valve in it and it must be the tires. I called Dubro and they said there is no check valve in the tire and it must be the pump. My head is spinning.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD770

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET26
Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Victory Pete

Success
[HR][/HR] I managed to get them to inflate. I pumped them both up a bit, 6.5", then released the air until they were 6.25". I will keep an eye on them. I used the wooden vise in my Sjobergs woodworkers bench to set the exact diameter and then just set them in to determine the exact size releasing just the right amount of air until they just fit in the vise. You need a separate detached filler valve to do this accurately. These tires have a nice cushion to them, they are much better than the stock 4" tires that came with my Miss Morava tow plane. I can see how it is important to keep an eye on the diameter of these tires as temperature and barometric pressure changes can possibly allow them to over inflate. A separate fill valve should be with you at the field to let out some pressure if they start to over expand from a hot day. I am quite pleased with these tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.