Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Bob Dively masking HELP!!!

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Bob Dively masking HELP!!!

Old 09-30-2016, 04:14 AM
scrambow
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob Dively masking HELP!!!

Looking for suggestions on dissolving the Bob Dively masking. I applied the mask to my canopy a few months ago. I used it to mask when I sprayed polyurethane clear. I left it on as to protect the parts during the rest of the construction. Now It will not come off except for scraping it using my thumb nails. I tried using a wooden scraper but didn't have much success. I tried denatured alcohol and this doesn't soften it either. I don't want to use anything else to scrape it for fear of scratching the clear plastic.

Thanks for your suggestions.

JC
Old 09-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Rob B.
My Feedback: (7)

Did you apply 3 or 4 coats of mask, a single coat is almost impossilble to get off because its too thin. Try adding a few more coats of mask and it will come right off.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:21 AM
scrambow

Thanks Rob I'll try this tonight.

JC
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know if that worked.....That stuff is amazing...I LOVE it!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 PM
scrambow

Tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. I put on 4 coats and these came off just fine; however, the old stuff stayed put. I've invested about 6 hours scraping on the windshield so far and still have about a quarter size spot left to scrape. Haven't started on the front windscreen yet! I'm using an old plastic card hotel key that I sharpened the edges on to slowly scrape away this concrete! I'll be faced with polishing the plastic after I finish the scraping.
Ended up with a bit of crazing as well from pushing a little to hard on the plastic. I've tried iso alcohol, soapy water, vinegar, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits and Windex and the mask is un-fazed by any of it.

JC

Last edited by scrambow; 10-01-2016 at 07:05 AM.