Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Our Battles With the FAA Are Not Over!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Our Battles With the FAA Are Not Over!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our Battles With the FAA Are Not Over!

Amazon just announced today a new partnership with the UK government to pursue drone delivery. Here is a link Our battles are not over!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36887325 Follow the link to read more about it.
New trials for delivering goods by drones

By Richard Westcott Transport correspondent, BBC News

The government's getting together with the retail giant Amazon to start testing flying drones that can deliver parcels to your door.

Amazon's paying for the programme, which will look at the best way to allow hundreds of robotic aircraft to buzz around Britain's skies safely.
The company claims it'll eventually mean small parcels will arrive at your house within 30 minutes of ordering them online.
Ministers say they want to pave the way for all businesses to start using the technology in future, but they will still have to convince the public that having automated drones flying around is both safe and won't invade people's privacy.
Three big problems

The trials will look at cracking three big problems:
  • How can you operate drones safely beyond "line of sight"? The current rules say a pilot has to be able to see the aircraft at all times
  • How can you build a drone that won't bump into things? Much like autonomous cars it would need sensors to help it avoid objects
  • How can you build a system where one pilot is responsible for many drones?
*** Video of Senator Bill Nelson demonizing model aviation CLICK HERE ***

Also, don't forget that we have one Florida Senator Bill Nelson that continues to demonize Model Aviation. Senator Bill Nelson also has opened doors for other Amazon CEO owned companies such as building and launching rockets from the Space Coast of Florida.

Soon, within the next 5 years model aviation will have a much larger battle on it's hands. A battle of which is up against big money and big government.

I hope an offensive battle strategy by the AMA is being pursued before Amazon gets to far ahead.

A new battle is on the horizon. Do you think the AMA can win the next battle? Electing the right people into AMA EC and President can help insure a good chance................
Old 07-27-2016, 08:23 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimJ

Also, don't forget that we have one Florida Senator Bill Nelson that continues to demonize Model Aviation.
What did he say that's not true?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 AM
TimJ

Just in case you don't think there is a future battle, below is quoted from a planned proposal by Amazon. Essentially this plan is seeking to restrict model aviation to designated areas. So the days of flying at any open area could disappear.

Finally, this airspace model will also encompass ‘
Predefined Low Risk Locations

Altitude and equipage restrictions in these locations will be established in advance by aviation authorities.

These Predefined Low Risk Locations will include

areas like designated Academy of Model Aeronautics airfields, where members will meet pre-established parameters for altitude and equipage.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by franklin_m
What did he say that's not true?
That is not the discussion.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Amazon just announced today a new partnership with the UK government to pursue drone delivery. Here is a link Our battles are not over!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36887325 Follow the link to read more about it.

Also, don't forget that we have one Florida Senator Bill Nelson that continues to demonize Model Aviation. Senator Bill Nelson also has opened doors for other Amazon CEO owned companies such as building and launching rockets from the Space Coast of Florida.

Soon, within the next 5 years model aviation will have a much larger battle on it's hands. A battle of which is up against big money and big government.

I hope an offensive battle strategy by the AMA is being pursued before Amazon gets to far ahead.

A new battle is on the horizon. Do you think the AMA can win the next battle? Electing the right people into AMA EC and President can help insure a good chance................
Interesting questions you've posed Tim. As for the politician, well, he is doing what he does best. Talk. In this case probably to an empty chamber, but he's able to show clips to his constituents back home that he's there fighting the good fight! It's cynical I know to say it, but there's a really good chance he is really trying to protect the interests of big dollar donors like Amazon, Google, Intel etc if they are going to be pumping jobs and tax revenue into his hurting economy. What does a few thousand AMA members do for him? Probably not much.

It will be interesting to see what the UK ultimately decides on.

As for the elections, you're right...the "right" people need to be involved and keep the AMA moving along. Who will be running should be announced officially very soon, and I hope they all release campaign statements dealing with specifics. I also hope they are positive and forward thinking, not bashing whoever was in place before. That's a huge turn off for me. Someone apparently already found out he was not going to be on the ballot so has tried to start a grassroots campaign using proxies on his behalf. His intentions aren't 100% clear, but he leaves no doubt as to where he stands with MR/Quads. He certainly has a focus on fixed wing, especially all things giant scale, and jets too! Wants "extras" for vendors at events, of which he is one oddly enough. He of course talks about "change", and how we need to move past the "sale ol same ol", and yet he seems to want to back to how the AMA was years ago. Talk about confusing !! So far there really seems to be some conflicts of interest, but I suspect we haven't seen anything yet.

I too hope some strategy has been discussed, and maybe even put into play for those key states where this might be an issue. CA, NY, FL are three I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83
Interesting questions you've posed Tim. As for the politician, well, he is doing what he does best. Talk. In this case probably to an empty chamber, but he's able to show clips to his constituents back home that he's there fighting the good fight! It's cynical I know to say it, but there's a really good chance he is really trying to protect the interests of big dollar donors like Amazon, Google, Intel etc if they are going to be pumping jobs and tax revenue into his hurting economy. What does a few thousand AMA members do for him? Probably not much.

It will be interesting to see what the UK ultimately decides on.

As for the elections, you're right...the "right" people need to be involved and keep the AMA moving along. Who will be running should be announced officially very soon, and I hope they all release campaign statements dealing with specifics. I also hope they are positive and forward thinking, not bashing whoever was in place before. That's a huge turn off for me. Someone apparently already found out he was not going to be on the ballot so has tried to start a grassroots campaign using proxies on his behalf. His intentions aren't 100% clear, but he leaves no doubt as to where he stands with MR/Quads. He certainly has a focus on fixed wing, especially all things giant scale, and jets too! Wants "extras" for vendors at events, of which he is one oddly enough. He of course talks about "change", and how we need to move past the "sale ol same ol", and yet he seems to want to back to how the AMA was years ago. Talk about confusing !! So far there really seems to be some conflicts of interest, but I suspect we haven't seen anything yet.

I too hope some strategy has been discussed, and maybe even put into play for those key states where this might be an issue. CA, NY, FL are three I can think of off the top of my head.
The Amazon thing is something I think many people should take seriously. Amazon's goal is to have things up and running in about 4 years. They have the hardware figured out. They have proposals of how to run the airspace, not it's a matter of them battling with politicians and people whom stand to loose a great deal if the airspace is lost of divided up.

As far as your assumptions on the AMA President, said person is currently running a campaign and asking people to write him in. Knowing who this person is, I am certain that he can gain traction if he keeps pushing.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

The Amazon thing is something I think many people should take seriously. Amazon's goal is to have things up and running in about 4 years. They have the hardware figured out. They have proposals of how to run the airspace, not it's a matter of them battling with politicians and people whom stand to loose a great deal if the airspace is lost of divided up.

As far as your assumptions on the AMA President, said person is currently running a campaign and asking people to write him in. Knowing who this person is, I am certain that he can gain traction if he keeps pushing.
Yup...he's trying bless his heart, but ultimately I believe he will not be successful. Even if the write in would work, which it won't, he ran in the past and was thoroughly beaten by a 4 to 1 ratio. So far the proxies aren't scaring up much of a reaction, however the parallels to the national election, and one slightly orange tinged person is pretty remarkable. Right down to the "make the AMA great again"....not even original there. Curious as to why he's leaking information to others and letting them post on his behalf rather than announcing his intentions.

Politics!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM
TimJ

Curious as to why he's leaking information to others and letting them post on his behalf rather than announcing his intentions.

Politics!
And that right there may be what will keep him from being successful.
oh well.....

Strange how only one of the congo crowd has chimed in on the Amazon subject.......
Old 07-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Yup...he's trying bless his heart, but ultimately I believe he will not be successful. Even if the write in would work, which it won't, he ran in the past and was thoroughly beaten by a 4 to 1 ratio. So far the proxies aren't scaring up much of a reaction, however the parallels to the national election, and one slightly orange tinged person is pretty remarkable. Right down to the "make the AMA great again"....not even original there. Curious as to why he's leaking information to others and letting them post on his behalf rather than announcing his intentions.

Politics!
Another half-baked attempt to "make the AMA great again". I couldn't help but notice how many of his campaign promises benefited his personal financial interests rather than the AMA membership.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:21 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:06 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Gee , from what I've read so far Mr. Tiano seems like he's got the AMA's best interests at heart .
You may want to check with Franklin on that thought
Old 07-27-2016, 04:36 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Further research shows Mr. Tiano is a plenty viable candidate . In fact , If Frank Tiano looks to be even half as logical and fair as Franklin M is , I'd vote for him .....
You should start a new thread and show your support, with Franklin's approval, of course.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Gee , from what I've read so far Mr. Tiano seems like he's got the AMA's best interests at heart .
Further research shows Mr. Tiano is a plenty viable candidate . In fact , If Frank Tiano looks to be even half as logical and fair as Franklin M is , I'd vote for him .....
Logical and fair....we must be on the upswing of the episode. Logical, ya I could get on board with that. Fair? 10 years of literally dumping on the AMA at every turn, even complaining recently about the cost of pins...pins!! And this is "fair"? I know he's someone to look up to and idolize, and god knows he brings a ton of technical experience to the table...but even you can't agree that what he threatened to do a few weeks back was "fair". I noticed you said nothing about that episode, nor did you respond when asked directly about it. Even he agreed that was done in pure anger. Didn't hear a peep out of you then.

But hey, you must be plugged into the Tiano underground, where did you find all kinds of information on Tiano? And amazing that you've already signaled who you would vote for without knowing his full agenda, nor for that matter even asking who the other candidates are. Does that sound like a reasoned approach to the next election? Sure seems like you're already tossing your vote to him just to disagree here? Well, whatever the motivation, it's your right to vote for who you want! As for Horrace, his run up to the election was nothing short of a out of control dumpster fire. Another one claiming change was on the way, but continued to stick his foot in his mouth at every turn. He mixed national politics and then religion in with his comments, a huge mistake. Then, he handled the whole "what would you do about drone" questions poorly. Gave several evasive politically correct answers and caught the wrath of folks who had been on his side previously. Then he tried to backtrack and take a hard line approach, but the jig was up. He lost (again), and lost badly. He was gracious post election and showed some real class not badmouthing the process of claiming any conspiracies against him. One of the repeated issues brought up by even those who supported him was his temperament and ability to work as part of a team, and his interpersonal skills.

But...back on Tiano. Might want to hold off on casting that ballot just yet. Do some real digging. Try asking him some questions, even if it's through his proxies. Do you know what he really represents, like big business and getting perks for fellow vendor friends, easing rules and regs for get this...giant scale planes (whats his line of business again, and what event does he hold each year?). So far his platform agenda is sparse, but one thing he does repeat is the often used platitude of those that can't otherwise win, "I represent change". Wow...that's new. And when you see what he's promoting, which is a return to a pre-drone AMA...it's obviously impossible to see how going back to the way it was represents real change.

But back on that temperament issue. Do you think someone who represents the AMA should be throwing around threats of physical violence when dealing with someone he doesn't actually know, but disagrees with? Or say, goes right to name calling rather than trying to have a discussion? How about using horribly inappropriate slurs against gay men, like the "F" word? Is this someone you would be proud to see represent you? Would you stand next to that kind of person and say yes, I'm with him? Sound logical and fair?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Now see , you post a reasonable post to me like that and of course I'll respond in kind . You post made several good points about giving a businessman with a vested interest in the hobby the keys to the regulatory side . and taking ALL info from the net at "face value" ....

So , honest and real question ;

Who did Mr. Tiano threaten to punch out ? And what was the context in which he denigrated Gay people ? If you have links or videos I'd like to see em , so far all I've found are positively glowing reviews of his big jet shows and how he does so much for the large scale jet crowd .

I am willing to see your evidence of his possible unsuitability for AMA office with a fair and unbiased view .
Oh yes, there is no doubt he is a huge proponent of giant scale and jets, it's his livelihood. So is hosting big name vendors at his event (like say, PAU), and trying to get them perks as well. It's rare that anyone has said anything bad about his Jet events (at least not fair or reasonable complaints). The events are world class. But for me, I want someone who will see the whole picture, not just a small slice of it.

I'm disappointed already that he is having others start to campaign for him, and use them to get some info out, yet hasn't said a word himself yet. That doesn't sit right for me.

Shoot me a PM, I'll give you the other info.

I hope the other three that are running are going to give some specifics on not only what they want to do, but just as importantly what they HAVE done along the way to show they are ready for this challenge.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Did you start that support thread yet? I don't see it. Let the chest pounding begin!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:56 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 AM
franklin_m

I'd be interested in his full platform as well.... I've seen what I believed was a post, but it was a second hand post that didn't give a link to the source document.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 AM
franklin_m

Even he agreed that was done in pure anger.
That's not what I said. Here's the actual quote: "I'll admit some of the frustration and mention of injury attorneys was in the heat of the moment out of exasperation with some individuals that just refuse to accept that the view that "accidents happen" and there's nothing that can be done is outdate."

(post 467, here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...st12233321)Are you saying that you're immune to frustration and exasperation? Have you never said anything in these forums in the heat of the moment? Has the fact that you said that automatically rendered everything from that point invalid?

If not, then my hats off to you for such perfection. I've never met anyone who's NEVER said something in these forums in the heat of the moment.I also note that I was man enough to admit it. Not the case with others - including those levelling personal attacks.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:28 AM
franklin_m

Libel: "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation"

But...back on Tiano ..... But back on that temperament issue. Do you think someone who represents the AMA should be throwing around threats of physical violence when dealing with someone he doesn't actually know, but disagrees with?
You've made a serious accusation, a potentially libelous one since you used his name, please cite source.

But...back on Tiano ..... How about using horribly inappropriate slurs against gay men, like the "F" word?
Another serious and potentially libelous allegation against a named individual, please cite source.

If you're unable to cite sources, I really think it would be wise to make an apology.

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-28-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'd be interested in his full platform as well.... I've seen what I believed was a post, but it was a second hand post that didn't give a link to the source document.
Of all people you should be the first to question that whole scenario. You see other people posting what is purportedly some of his platform, but nothing specific from him. He's a member here and used to post. And of course he appeared to spearhead the whole "letter to the AMA campaign" last year that went nowhere.

So far I'm not impressed with the leadership skills here.

Libel: "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation"

You've made a serious accusation, a potentially libelous one since you used his name, please cite source.

Another serious and potentially libelous allegation against a named individual, please cite source.

If you're unable to cite sources, I really think it would be wise to make an apology.
Spare me the Websters definition....I knew someone was going to go to that tired old ploy. I'm well aware of what I wrote, and how I I wrote it. If you want to parse and pick at it, by all means have at it. I owe no apology to anyone, nor will one be forthcoming. If a person is going to run for office, either out in the open or through a shadow campaign, they better expect to be held accountable for what they have either said and/or written in the past. Even more so when they are very very outspoken.

For a guy so intent on 100% accident free protocols, you might want to hold off on the endorsement just yet. From the episode resulting in multiple 2nd degree burns to a pilot and his spotter, to a turbine powered jet crashing through a roof and into the bathroom of a homeowner to a turbine jet taking out a biplane at center runway (same event too)....well, it seems as though the event sponsor could only do so much to ensure a safe, and accident free event.

You can do your due diligence, I'll do mine. Granted, much of what each of us will find will be via websites, videos etc, but it's all out there (much of it actually here at RCU). I found e-mails purported to have been sent by him (unchallenged i might had) that were found in two Google clicks. Init has seen them, and if you want I'll forward to you.

Ya gotta wonder why a guy who wants a grassroots campaign going to elect him to head the AMA is nowhere to be found here, RCG, Giant Scale News, Flying Giants, heck even his own webpage. I would suggest asking him what his platform is, so far he hasn't said first hand. Given his authorship and first signature on the "open letter to the AMA" from last year, suffice it to say he's a big proponent of "traditional modeling".

I hope all of the candidates are very specific about what they have done in the past, and want to do in the future to continue to promote the hobby and run the AMA. I don't care about how much money they have donated, or quite frankly what they fly. I am looking for specifics, especially how they plan on dealing with any federal agencies.

Last edited by porcia83; 07-28-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Further clarification
Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 AM
porcia83
Banned

Lets see if I can hit on all the things posted since i was here last ;

First and foremost , Porcia that link you sent last night is broken or otherwise inoperative .

Franklin , yes I most certainly have posted angry as has every single poster who posts here . Anyone who says they never once have are doing just what Trump calls Clinton ; "Lyin Hillary" ! .... Now , I use this example purposefully because I want to discuss Libel and how it's applied to candidates for elected positions VS the rest of normal society . It would appear that once a person throws their hat in the ring of the "popularity contest" of being elected to any position any and all protections from Libel appear to go out the proverbial window . I have always personally disliked this double standard as I recoil against all double standards but this one seems to get a free pass among society and the system is as the majority appear to want it . Now with that said , that's why I would like it if Mr. Tiano IS planning a run for AMA EC that he would put out a statement of that fact , state his positions and why he thinks he'd be a good fit for the AMA EC , and then let the process of vetting him as a viable option commence . And yes of course , part of that vetting WILL be prior reputation , both good or bad whatever is the predominate viewpoint held by the people in the hobby he's interacted with during his time being involved in it . I will freely admit to knowing absolutely 100% of nothing about the guy either good or bad , and I am willing to listen with an open mind to what the majority opinion is of him and form my own opinion from there .
Lemme try that one again Init....hold please.

I'll also mention again regarding Cain's campaign, as well as what appears to be Tiano's. Absolutely 100% no BS when I say it's beyond fantastic that these guys threw their hats into the ring. Both wanted to try to make their impression on the AMA, and felt/feel like they have the answers to the problems and challenges facing the AMA. It's not an easy job, even more so over the past 5 years, and will continue to be going forward. Obviously their platforms are important to know. Just as important, if not more so now, is their temperament, and their ability to work as a team, AND be a leader. That is a huge task to ask of anyone. I don't want someone quick on the draw that will say whatever comes to mind right away. I want a purposeful and thoughtful person who will also look to his fellow leaders for their guidance and input, and then move forward with a decision. The My way or the High way approach is not going to work. Along those lines, there are other folks on the EC that are there for a reason, including (and I think most importantly) the district VPs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.