Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Nick's M4A3E8 kit recoil mount

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Nick's M4A3E8 kit recoil mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Shergertank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nick's M4A3E8 kit recoil mount

So in the near future I'm gonna purchase the easy eight kit.I've heard that it does not posses recoil mounts and I'm thinking of fitting a taigen recoil unit in there.Is it possible? Please provide pics of your recoil system in it. Thx
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I just posted to the other thread you were on.

please answer these questions, what chassis are you going to use? Upper hull? Airsoft or IR battle? What brand of rc tank controler arw you going to use?
this will help us direct you.

here is my ez8 tamiya build. Its nearly a step by step.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ez8-build.html
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 AM
Shergertank

tamiya 105 kit with nick's conversion kit i want it to be ir
Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Shergertank

can u guys tell me how exactly does the turret of the rc tank work(recoil elevation) I'm a major noob in building rc tanks
Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Look at post #12 in RichJohnsons link Tamiya EZ8 Build. The photos there will give you an idea of the mechanics and electronics used to get recoil and elevation in an RC tank turret.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 AM
RichJohnson

SThat is only a Tamiya type tank.

A Henglong airsoft tank is different as is a taigen.

Henglong uses a motor that only goes one direction and the gun barrel will go up and down continuously. There is no recoil on henglong.

The taigen IR tank has a box that does elevation and recoil with two motors in one box. It is made by Asiatam. Wiring it for another controller is quite complicated. A friend and I were reviewing the instructions to wire it to a clark board.

I use IBU2 controller boards and prefer to use a servo for my elevation off a rotary knob on my transmitter, and a servo for my recoil drivin by the IBU2 board.

Shergertank, please tell us what your desires are for building your tank so we can better help you.
Is there a reason you really want to use a taigen recoil unit? There are situations where it will work for you and others where its not a good idea.

Also review these threads
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11623603-m4a3-76w-mato-turret-hl-sherman.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...mbo-build.html

the assult Sherman is a nick hull and turret kit. very tough project.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 05-25-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Shergertank

actually taigen is easier to get hold of but in reality I prefer a tamiya m51 recoil unit and the clark tk22 but i hv no idea wut the stock andother stuff you said so I'm quite confused
Old 05-25-2016, 04:02 PM
RichJohnson

It sounds like you want to use a tk22 clark board.
the good thing is that control board supports using a servo to recoil the gun, or a tamiya recoil unit.
Clark has instructions online how to rewire the taigen recoil unit to make it perform like a tamiya but it is abit complicated.

I persoanlly prefer to use a transmitter that has a knob for chanel 5 or 6 and use that knob to control a servo to elevate my barel and then have the ibu control the servo recoil. The same can be done with the clark board, or you can use a tamyia or taigen elevation motor box on your tk22.
if I have mis stated any facts of the tk22 I will stand corrected as I have just read them and helped a friend recently, I have not set one up.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of recoil, Tamiya's system is a large gear driven by a small motor with worm gear. It has a micro switch that stops the motion on return. It's a nice system, gives realistic motion out of the box since the action of the arc naturally pauses before returning. It can be modded by removing some teeth and adding a spring that would make the action even better. The downside to it is it is bulky. You run out of elevation room quickly in a small turret.

The easiest (and probably best option) is servo recoil. You have a wide open selection of what to use in terms of travel and speed, it can be fit into tight spaces and by adding a Turnigy chip you can choose you travel speed by direction, so it can snap into recoil then slowly creep back to firing position. Another plus is it can be run from an aux or gear channel and mixed so that's your trigger or can be trigger by stick movement.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 AM
RichJohnson

The Tamiya recoil is much too slow to be prototypical for a tank firing. Servos look so much better when you set them up right. The IBU2 allows you to set the recoil and return speed separate of each other and really makes a nice motion. I like it so much. Looking back now, the Tamiya recoil I put into my EZ8 really bugs me with the really slow speed it operates at. Several non modelers I have showed it off to have called it out noticing the slow recoil after firing.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Shergertank

thanks how do you set up a servo wut servo to use and whats and ibu2
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM
Shergertank

setting up servos seems complicated
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Shergertank

please teach me
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 AM
RichJohnson

To build a servo recoil unit review my two posted threads, the jumbo and the Hl with mato turret.
to control the recoil servo you need a tank control system like a tk22 or ibu2 that has the ability to make a servo recoil when you make the tank fire.
it is more complicated than just building a tamiya kit that is purpose designed to work perfect start to finish, but building your own will teach you alot and you will be very proud of the finished model.
There is also this one where I fabricated a servo recoil.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...4174-m4a1.html

Last edited by RichJohnson; 05-26-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:33 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
The Tamiya recoil is much too slow to be prototypical for a tank firing. Servos look so much better when you set them up right. The IBU2 allows you to set the recoil and return speed separate of each other and really makes a nice motion. I like it so much. Looking back now, the Tamiya recoil I put into my EZ8 really bugs me with the really slow speed it operates at. Several non modelers I have showed it off to have called it out noticing the slow recoil after firing.
That's why some guys mod it. Add a spring and remove the teeth after the stopping position to where it returns. When it starts the motion, the spring will pull the barrel back until the teeth catch up to it, carrying it forward again.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:41 AM
RichJohnson

Ah, now I get that. Cool idea. Would like to see a picture where that is done and maybe do it to my ez8.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
ausf

Bob told me about that one. A search here brought no joy, but google uncovered this thread:

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...=1952&start=20

Halfway down are pics.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

There are a couple of other option for adding servo recoil and elevation to any tank...

Clark universal recoil unit: http://www.clark-model.com/eng/kit_1...versal_recoil/

DKLM recoil unit: "www.dklmrc.com/[DKLM]_Full_Metal_Recoil_+_Elevation_Unit_for_116_scale_ RC_Tank/p2389473_15494039.aspx"

Gonna use the DKLM unit to add elevation and recoil to my HL Abrams.

Last edited by tankme; 05-26-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 PM
RichJohnson

Yeah.... I bought the other 3d printed clark servo elevation and servo recoil unit he designed to retro fit into the mato metal Sherman and was thoroughly un impressed. The 3d printing ridges were very rough and I filed and sanded for hours trying to get the parts to slide into each other. I finally just tossed it back in a box and figured I wasted 45 bucks. Its a great design but his print resolution was total crap. Seriously, I wasted way more time than any body would have trying to get them smooth enough to work because I really wanted to try them. Oh well. I would steer clear of the clark 3d printed recoil systems.

Here is one of my home made jobs. Elevation and recoil installed in turret. Side view, bottom view and top view. This is on a gun mount that is on a Henglong Sherman turret.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0134.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2164330   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0125.JPG
Views:	1181
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2164331   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0124.JPG
Views:	872
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2164332   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0126.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2164333  
Old 05-27-2016, 05:03 AM
Shergertank

new stuff guys im gonna buy the t23 from axells wut recoil unit can i use or is it similar
Old 05-27-2016, 05:22 AM
Shergertank

for the servos does the clark already pre programe it or i hv to do it myself ir that i simply need to fut it
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 AM
RichJohnson

while Axels t23 looks good, I do not like how thw turret has a seperation and parting line in the middle.
you should build a turret so everythimg comes out for service, through the bottom without having to split the turret in half. If you use axels turret, install everything in it and then practice taking it all out for service before you glue the two halfs together.

you can use any elevation and recoil unit you want to in a take turret when you build it.
you might want to read more threads about building tanks and how we all do it because we all do it differently.
If you want a T23 sherman without a lot of headache and fabricating, taigen is going to release their new one this summer. Here is a picture of it unpainted from their site.

Clark has instructions how to install andd wire up a tk22 control board into the infrared version of this tank. It has an asiatamk elevation and recoil unit in it.

i do not know your model building skills so I do not insult you, but it might be alot easier to buy a tank first and learn about them before you decide to take on a large custom building project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2164387  
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Shergertank

thing is that im goin for the fury. I hv experience in static models and even stock full otiins but just not custom building full options
Old 05-27-2016, 03:37 PM
RichJohnson

One way to make a fury tank would be to buy this taigen tank i posted, when it comes out, then buy a tamiya sherman on ebay or used from somewhere else and swap the tsigen hull over onto the tamiya chassis. The you just have to make fenders for the taigen hull. The other modeling characteristic you would have to do is remove the split hatch gunners hatch and fill it in and make an oval loaders hatch for the later turret that fury had.