Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I think I find this repulsive......

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I think I find this repulsive......

Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
aircraftbuilder67
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I find this repulsive......

I would like to think I'm not one of those "I think I'm better than you types" because I choose to fly fixed wing types and some others don't. In fact, I enjoy seeing all kinds of stuff fly when I'm at the field. Drones, however, have struck a nerve for me.... Not because I don't fly them, but what I perceive that they and the users of them have done to the RC hobby in general. Would we have this foolish and ridiculous "UAS" registration requirement if not for the publicity of the exploits of less than fully intelligent drone operators? Not thinking we would.

What has prompted this posting is that the first thing that appears when going to the AMA website is the declaration that May 7th is national drone day. Well, hallelujah, there is now a day dedicated to tempting some folks into doing more publicized, questionable actions with drones. And, AMA, is a key sponsor.

i probably realize that this is an attempt to bring attention to the responsible use of drones and all that, but, dang, it just feels like salt being rubbed into open wounds.

Happy bleeping Drone Day

Last edited by aircraftbuilder67; 05-01-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aircraftbuilder67
I would like to think I'm not one of those "I think I'm better than you types" because I choose to fly fixed wing types and some others don't. In fact, I enjoy seeing all kinds of stuff fly when I'm at the field. Drones, however, have struck a nerve for me.... Not because I don't fly them, but what I perceive that they and the users of them have done to the RC hobby in general. Would we have this foolish and ridiculous "UAS" registration requirement if not for the publicity of the exploits of less than fully intelligent drone operators? Not thinking we would.

What has prompted this posting is that the first thing that appears when going to the AMA website is the declaration that May 7th is national drone day. Well, hallelujah, there is now a day dedicated to tempting some folks into doing more publicized, questionable actions with drones. And, AMA, is a key sponsor.

i probably realize that this is an attempt to bring attention to the responsible use of drones and all that, but, dang, it just feels like salt being rubbed into open wounds.

Happy bleeping Drone Day
Forget about May 7th. The day after is " Mothers Day ". Maybe I should buy her a drone as a Mothers Day Gift. Hell, she bought me plenty of models when I was a growing child.

But a good question is .............. Who the hell made the DECLARATION that May 7 th is National Drone Day ?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:13 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy bleeping Drone Day
Sounds like someone at a party that starts a comment by saying, not to be offensive but......

This is yet another attempt to blame one specific segment of the hobby for everything that's going on, when it couldn't be farther from the truth. I only fly fixed wing as well, but a drone or MR pilot hasn't done anything to involve the FAA, nor change the way the AMA operates. Folks need to get past their own personal issues with MR and the AMA, or better yet just quit the AMA. problem solved.

How can you possibly miss the involvement of big commercial enterprise as the reason for govt intervention?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:43 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Forget about May 7th. The day after is " Mothers Day ". Maybe I should buy her a drone as a Mothers Day Gift. Hell, she bought me plenty of models when I was a growing child.

But a good question is .............. Who the hell made the DECLARATION that May 7 th is National Drone Day ?
AMA is hawking it here: http://www.internationaldroneday.com/

The principals that declared it are the proprietors of this site http://www.thatdroneshow.com/
Old 05-01-2016, 03:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Short sighted Liberals with self defeating, sheepish attitudes will tell you that there is nothing we could do about it.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Short sighted Liberals with self defeating, sheepish attitudes will tell you that there is nothing we could do about it.
Well, wait until they see coverage of the National Mall Drone Fly In! You're attending, right?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:44 PM
aircraftbuilder67
My Feedback: (6)

Well, since originally posting this thread, I've had a chance to reflect on my words. It felt pretty good to relieve some of the frustration associated with the outcome associated with a couple of moronic acts bringing on some reactionary, smacked butt rules that is UAS registration. My Saturday was blessed with the completion of maiden flights on two aircraft. I am all the more astonished that this was accomplished without an FAA technical inspection of said aircraft nor putting in peril the national airspace....... In fact, there wasn't another soul outside of me and my friend that even knew there was an RC plane flying along minding its own business. (Well, maybe a couple of passing birds took notice.)

Enough sarcasm and how about solutions? My first thought was declaring May 7th National Clay Pigeons Posing as Drones Day.... With the tag line: Lock and Load, Rock and Roll. Fun, but not winning hearts and minds.

So here is my proposed solution:

1. Create a sub set of the AMA called the ADA - Academy of Drone A......... (Haven't figured that last A out yet). With this, you still get the grassroots CBO or whatever the criteria is for safety.
2. Get some younger folks on the ADA board that can communicate with today's youth.. No disrespect to our seasoned population, but the youth of today communicate differently.
3. (And here's the gemstone of my thinking) All drones are locked out by the manufacturer until the buyer punches in their FAA registration number...... Not unlike when you install new software on a computer.

I can fantasize, can't I?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:50 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Well, wait until they see coverage of the National Mall Drone Fly In! You're attending, right?
ummm...I think I am scheduled to take a bath that day...?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:55 PM
combatpigg

aircraftbuilder...get Jon Stewart to be the spokesman of this new fangled organization you propose and they will follow him right off the cliff without question.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Sorry, BUT screw these DRONES and their DAY! Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have said that :-)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Accepting reality is sometimes difficult, but you're finally there!

ummm...I think I am scheduled to take a bath that day...?
Finally, thank god!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

Ahhh....time marches on. The future is just that. The sooner that's accepted, the better off everyone will feel about things. Is the denial in everyone so strong that they don't even want to accept that this day is to PROMOTE the good things that these aircraft can do? Not sure why everyone is so afraid to acknowledge that.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 AM
rcmiket

Not only is it "National Drone Day" but "Drones are Good"

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CdM-0XUVIAA5eyo.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2160478  

Last edited by rcmiket; 05-02-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have a "drone problem"... you have a "government problem".
Old 05-02-2016, 03:53 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
You don't have a "drone problem"... you have a "government problem".
Caused by the irresponsible "drone" operators. It's really rather simple.

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since originally posting this thread, I've had a chance to reflect on my words. It felt pretty good to relieve some of the frustration associated with the outcome associated with a couple of moronic acts bringing on some reactionary, smacked butt rules that is UAS registration. My Saturday was blessed with the completion of maiden flights on two aircraft. I am all the more astonished that this was accomplished without an FAA technical inspection of said aircraft nor putting in peril the national airspace....... In fact, there wasn't another soul outside of me and my friend that even knew there was an RC plane flying along minding its own business. (Well, maybe a couple of passing birds took notice.)

Enough sarcasm and how about solutions? My first thought was declaring May 7th National Clay Pigeons Posing as Drones Day.... With the tag line: Lock and Load, Rock and Roll. Fun, but not winning hearts and minds.

So here is my proposed solution:

1. Create a sub set of the AMA called the ADA - Academy of Drone A......... (Haven't figured that last A out yet). With this, you still get the grassroots CBO or whatever the criteria is for safety.
2. Get some younger folks on the ADA board that can communicate with today's youth.. No disrespect to our seasoned population, but the youth of today communicate differently.
3. (And here's the gemstone of my thinking) All drones are locked out by the manufacturer until the buyer punches in their FAA registration number...... Not unlike when you install new software on a computer.

I can fantasize, can't I?
Be nice if it was not a fantasy, but a reality !
Old 05-02-2016, 04:39 AM
RC Pilot 007

aircraftbuilder...get Jon Stewart to be the spokesman of this new fangled organization you propose and they will follow him right off the cliff without question.
miss jon so much funniest guy on tv. neu guy not as funny
Old 05-02-2016, 05:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

And now we have the first drone used for a delivery being put in the Smithsonian.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rgburrill
And now we have the first drone used for a delivery being put in the Smithsonian.
Pretty quick we'll be seeing AMA "relics" being exhibited there also.

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Happy bleeping Drone Day
Drones are not the problem, politicians are.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Caused by the irresponsible "drone" operators. It's really rather simple.

Mike
While there have been a few there really hasn't been a problem. Government overreaction and the hunger to gain more power is the problem.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Pretty quick we'll be seeing AMA "relics" being exhibited there also.

Mike
AMA relics have been there since before we became relics!

http://www.si.edu/Exhibitions/Detail...ft-Models-2606
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
While there have been a few there really hasn't been a problem. Government overreaction and the hunger to gain more power is the problem.
Not a problem? Stopping fire fighting aircraft from dropping their loads correctly isn't a problem? Letting a fire jumpt a highway and destroy vehicles isn't a problem? Houses being burnt isn't a problem? You are an a--.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Not a problem? Stopping fire fighting aircraft from dropping their loads correctly isn't a problem? Letting a fire jumpt a highway and destroy vehicles isn't a problem? Houses being burnt isn't a problem? You are an a--.
Overreacting to the drones was the problem. Most were news reporters and were nowhere near the planes. Just bureaucrats getting their panties in a wad. The drones would have been like a fly on the windshield of your car in any event.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Happy bleeping Drone Day
Could be just a marketing plan to coral them to get the to join the AMA. Might not be a bad idea when you think about it. Would be and opportunity to educate them on safe flying. The FAA is never going to separate them from us so we need to play the cards we're dealt. We either step up and be a role model or just ignore them and hope the problem goes away which will never happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.