Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Aluminum drive shaft purpose? (tt01)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:55 PM
GT31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Video] Aluminum drive shaft purpose? (tt01)

Hi,

What is the purpose of metal drive shaft? I have the stock one, I realize it rattles when using a faster motor. So I changed it out to an aluminum, now it would only rattle during higher speed, but still, didn't solve the rattle problem, did yours fix it? I have a 9T brushless, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM8sJerZBCc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by GT31; 02-05-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Did you swap around the front and rear shafts on accident when building? Also, a bit of vibration is completely normal.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:16 PM
GT31

Originally Posted by collector1231
Did you swap around the front and rear shafts on accident when building? Also, a bit of vibration is completely normal.
I don't think there is front/back for the shaft, it's not just vibration but also flex at high speed, so you hear the cracking sound like the stock shaft does (but at higher speed)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 PM
GT31

Added video! please help!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 PM
collector1231

I see now! It looks like you are missing the rubber O rings inside of the cups to help stop the vibration. Either that, or did you see this picture?

O rings; http://www.jegs.com/i/Traxxas/430/23...L-IaAnrT8P8HAQ
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 PM
GT31

What is first picture you are trying to show??? Mine didn't come with o ring
Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a TT01 sitting on the shelf. I thought it was hilarious having the plastic center shaft and hearing it slapping the chassis. It slaps the chassis because it's flexing, flexing from being out of balance. That's exactly what's happening with your aluminum shaft. It's not perfectly balanced and apparantly is flexible enough to bend at higher rpms and slap the chassis. Nothing you can do about it besides trying a different aluminum shaft.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 PM
GT31

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I have a TT01 sitting on the shelf. I thought it was hilarious having the plastic center shaft and hearing it slapping the chassis. It slaps the chassis because it's flexing, flexing from being out of balance. That's exactly what's happening with your aluminum shaft. It's not perfectly balanced and apparantly is flexible enough to bend at higher rpms and slap the chassis. Nothing you can do about it besides trying a different aluminum shaft.
Interesting, do you mean my aluminum shaft is defective?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Defective isn't the word I'd use. I highly doubt the manufacturer of your (or any shafts) actually balance them. The issue is more with the flexibility of the shaft. For arguments sake let's say it's out of balance by 1 gram, multiplied by centrifugal force at high rpm and that weight may be 10 grams, either way it's enough to make the shaft flex and slap the chassis. Buy another shaft from the same manufacturer and it's going to be just as flexible but the balance might be better or worse. A shaft from a different manufacturer may be less flexible and able to better mask how out of balance it is though.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:11 PM
GT31

Defective isn't the word I'd use. I highly doubt the manufacturer of your (or any shafts) actually balance them. The issue is more with the flexibility of the shaft. For arguments sake let's say it's out of balance by 1 gram, multiplied by centrifugal force at high rpm and that weight may be 10 grams, either way it's enough to make the shaft flex and slap the chassis. Buy another shaft from the same manufacturer and it's going to be just as flexible but the balance might be better or worse. A shaft from a different manufacturer may be less flexible and able to better mask how out of balance it is though.
I used YeahRacing, any other recommendations?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Please don't ask what manufacturer has a stiffer shaft (insert crude joke here!), I have no idea. I've never heard of issue with the Tamiya aluminum shaft though. And all this also assumes the drive cups on the ends of the shaft are tight and not wobbling around at all as that would just make matters worse.

Edit: this post was written without having read your last post, saw your question coming
Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 PM
GT31

Please don't ask what manufacturer has a stiffer shaft (insert crude joke here!), I have no idea. I've never heard of issue with the Tamiya aluminum shaft though. And all this also assumes the drive cups on the ends of the shaft are tight and not wobbling around at all as that would just make matters worse.
The drive cups are tight, only thing that wobble slightly is the shaft, I can move the shaft back and forth slightly but won't come out of the cups. Is this normal?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Being able move it in and out of the cups is fine and normal all it does is make a slight rattle if anything. Orings in the cups will prevent the shaft from rattling around in the cups but it won't prevent the shaft from bending and slapping the chassis which can be clearly seen in the video.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 PM
GT31

For some reasons, when I look at the TT01 Manual, it shows 3 bearings are supposed to be behind the front drive cups, but when I open mine, only found one. I don't think I could fit anymore though, how come??

Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 AM
GT31

Anyone please?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 AM
collector1231

Its fine then. If it works, it works. Maj is correct about that. But you should still try the O rings. Also, click on the sentence for the pictures. I hyperlinked it.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM
GT31

Its fine then. If it works, it works. Maj is correct about that. But you should still try the O rings. Also, click on the sentence for the pictures. I hyperlinked it.
I asked what are you trying to show in the picture, as I couldn't relate. You didn't respond.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 AM
collector1231

Originally Posted by GT31
I asked what are you trying to show in the picture, as I couldn't relate. You didn't respond.

I just did respond... did you see the picture and the piece of plastic circled in red? Its hard to miss.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:26 AM
GT31

I just did respond... did you see the picture and the piece of plastic circled in red? Its hard to miss.
If I had not seen the picture I wouldn't have said no correlation. What are you trying to show please elaborate. It's hard to miss TT01 in the title.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by GT31
For some reasons, when I look at the TT01 Manual, it shows 3 bearings are supposed to be behind the front drive cups, but when I open mine, only found one. I don't think I could fit anymore though, how come??

P3 is a spacer, RB1 are bearings/bushings. The only reason I can think of that you can't get another bearing/bushing in there is because there's already a bushing in there. It may be black and hard to differentiate from the plastic of the diff housing.