Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

After many years in this hobby, and kits I was made from famous plans, the time has come to start on my own project.

Last year I finish Ziroli F9F Panther with Jet Cat 80.
Critics was great, plane fly very nice and smooth. ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10165568/tm.htm )

In meantime I saw that some modelers take this plans and increase it for 20%. So they get a larger model, with just a little more weight, in which can put same jet engine.

Airfield we have here in my town, Novi Sad, is sport airfield, with grass runway. It's not an ideal flat and with my Panther I have a little problem on takeoff and landing. My idea was, when start work on new jet model, must be larger - Ziroli F9F bigger for 20%.

But after thinking I get new idea...
If I need to invest time and energy to enlarged Ziroli plans, why not to made my model, something new, something that is nowhere to buy, which latter can be offer like kit.

So, I start to work on GALEB G2.

Interesting moment is, we here, on our airport have Acrobatic group "Stars", with 5 airplanes Galeb G2.
I am member same Aero club like Acro group. Leader of Acrobatic group is my good friend, and owner also (that is private acrobatic group)...
In this circumstances Galeb G2 is ideal model for my project. I can go in hangar when ever I want and take any measure, make pictures, have access to technical documentation...

Paint scheme on Acrobatic group planes is my design. Only change in design was, I made normal star on the bottom of the plane, and after it was stretch the upper arm...
First lines for painting Acrbatic Galeb G2 was made by me and my wife (we have shop for design and sign painter)...

OK, few words about Galeb G2.

This jet plane was made in early '60 last century. Galeb G2 was school fighter plane. You can find a lot about it on Internet.
Design and performance was great, so after service in the army, many of this planes was sold to private pilots. I think John Travolta have one...

Galeb G2 is jet plane with classic design, normal wing, normal flaps, ailerons, very robust landing gears. This is plane without excessive hydraulic and electronics parts. Because that it is cheap for maintenance.

Flying performance are excellence even today, stall speed is small, profile is similar like on the Blanik sailplane, so Galeb can glide long without engine...

All this knowledge supports that this can be very good model also.

My idea is to made exactly 1/5 scale model. That is similar size of enlarged Zirolis F9F.

Galeb G2 will be wooden model, with wing span of 2320 mm with wing tanks. Without it, models wing span is around 2060 mm.
Weight, with Jet Cat 80 will be about 10-11 kilograms.

I think that will be used Behotec retracts, Behotec front leg, but, main gear legs will be our products, which will fits in Behotec pneumatic mechanism.

Wheels are 90 mm front, and 120mm main.
Jet Cat 80 will be enough for this model.

For now, I am working on 3D model, which will be basis for further development work. My plan is to maiden flight made at spring next year.
Until then all about this projects you will read hear...

Here is few pictures about Galeb G2 in Acro group Stars colors...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-12.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2236637

Name:	2-12.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	2236638

Name:	gggggggggg33333333.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2236639

Name:	gggggggggg222222222.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2236640

Name:	1-13.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2236641

Name:	4-10.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2236642

All the best from Novi Sad, Serbia

Mirce

Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Galeb G2 - new jet made in Serbia

looks like a straiht wing Hunter.....looking forward to your build.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a beautiful plane. I am subscribing to this thread!

Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Couch Potato

Looks like a Seba Avantis (only joking )

The cockpit has someting very "Fouga Magister" about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

BEAUTIFUL PLANE. I like it very much.

ENT
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
ModellbauUK

Looks like it would fly very much like the Savex L39 which is produced in your neck of the woods
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 AM
zajorcfly

This plane is a big part of our history. It's a testament of an era when Jugoslavia was very powerful and we could do anything that...... Ok, that's enough looking forward to this build.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

neat plane similar layout to a MB339 ... ( being one of my favorite jets )

~V~
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
jetster81

I am subscribed to this thread, You made such a great job of the Panther. Also nice to see something different and with very graceful lines, it will be interesting to see if you arrive to kit this, Good luck with this project.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
mirce

Thank you all for kind words...

Yes, this will be great topic, and finally, hope great jet model and kit...
Of course, this is not just my product, my friends and associates, will help.
For now, first job is to get 3D drawing. On that work my friend Aleksandar. I have promise that this stage will be completed by the end of the month. Here is first "rough" draw...

While you wait (like me too), on 3D model, here is my current building: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10794600/tm.htm

More about my models can find on my web site: www.nsmodelers.rs

Best regards from Serbia

Mirce
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
mirce

Progress...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Sonicwings

Mirce, Hi,

Love this plane, and to see something new coming along, which is a builders model, wood, planking...:-) Way to go, following with interest, i wish there was more builders models available.... Hope you will do a kit, or short kit in the future....

All the best, Jeremy.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 AM
mirce

Thanks Jeremy, that is a final goal, to made Galeb G2 short wooden kit.
Like many kits on the market, this will have plans, short wooden kit, few plastic parts (fuselage nose, tip tanks, canopy)...
Retracts will be from German firm Behotec, nose leg too, but mail landing gear will be our product, because specific design...

This all is very realistic, but need time. As I told, plan for maiden flight is spring next year...

Regards

Mirce
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 AM
mirce

Canopy...

Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mirce,

Which 3D program are you using? nice project...keep it up

Reuben
Old 02-19-2012, 12:22 PM
czirh

Nice project, subscribed to this thread..

Cem
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
mirce

Thanks guys...

In this project will be involved few my friends.
One of them made 3D drawing. Finding someone who want and know to made 3D model is for me, so far, biggest problem. Now I have new guy for 3D drawing and hope that this guy will do it right. We will see...
He use Maya 3D program...

He promise me that Galeb G2 shell will be finish until middle of the March.

Best regards

Mirce
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
mirce

In the meantime occurred new moments in my Galeb project, so I come back on traditional building methods. My friend who start working on 3D project lives in another city, so I'm afraid that in some moment we will have problem in communications.
So I decided to thanks him and I start to work on drawings. That will not be 3D, but will be good enough for further work.

I use my quite good JPG files, and draw through them all ribs. My friend Misha draw Galeb out lines and upper and lower projection.

As I told on the beginning of this topic, my idea is to made 1/5 scale Galeb, which is almost same like Zirolis 20% bigger Panther. Modelers increase Zirolis F9F plan, and use same turbine like in 1:1 plan, Jet Cat P 80.

So, after Misha send me 1/5 scale Galeb drawings, I went to printing shop and made first drawings. When I come home I saw that Galeb is pretty big model.

Because I have now Galeb drawings, I put it over Panther drawing. On next image you will see how much is 1/5 scale Galeb bigger than Ziroli F9F...

To be continued...

Regards

Mirce
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM
mirce

The hole last week I spent to made drawings in Corel of my Galeb. For now I'm very satisfied how everything looks.

Now I have many measure, and can thinking how to find solutions for problems that occur in the project.

Galeb have narrower fuselage than Panther, but it's 20 cm longer. Wingspan is also bigger (you can saw that on drawings in last post).

I am thinking does I maybe need bigger jet engine?
I have P 80, and with it, Panther, from our grass airfield, made take off in less than 30 meter. Panther weight is 12,5 kilogram on take off...
In air no need for more than 1/2 throttle for normal flying, and with full throttle it will go vertical as long as you hold it.

Galeb will be bigger, but not much more heavier. I hope with fuel it will be about 13 - 14 kilograms.
So, what do you think, will I need maybe bigger jet engine?

Today I'm looking on Internet, and saw that nobody sell Jet Cat P 120 any more. Jet Cat P 100 is next after P 80, but both have almost same thrust. (P 80 - 22 lbs & P 100 - 22,6bs).
Next engine is Jet Cat 140, with 30 lbs thrust, but fuel consumption is much higher, and with bigger fuel tanks I will have model with more than 14 kilogram...

Does Jet Cat stop making P 120?

So, what do you think, will Jet Cat P 80 be enough for 2,1 meter wingspan model (without tip tanks) and 14 kg of weight?

Regards

Mirce
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85798.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	1737239  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Sonicwings

ORIGINAL: mirce

The hole last week I spent to made drawings in Corel of my Galeb. For now I'm very satisfied how everything looks.

Now I have many measure, and can thinking how to find solutions for problems that occur in the project.

Galeb have narrower fuselage than Panther, but it's 20 cm longer. Wingspan is also bigger (you can saw that on drawings in last post).

I am thinking does I maybe need bigger jet engine?
I have P 80, and with it, Panther, from our grass airfield, made take off in less than 30 meter. Panther weight is 12,5 kilogram on take off...
In air no need for more than 1/2 throttle for normal flying, and with full throttle it will go vertical as long as you hold it.

Galeb will be bigger, but not much more heavier. I hope with fuel it will be about 13 - 14 kilograms.
So, what do you think, will I need maybe bigger jet engine?

Today I'm looking on Internet, and saw that nobody sell Jet Cat P 120 any more. Jet Cat P 100 is next after P 80, but both have almost same thrust. (P 80 - 22 lbs & P 100 - 22,6bs).
Next engine is Jet Cat 140, with 30 lbs thrust, but fuel consumption is much higher, and with bigger fuel tanks I will have model with more than 14 kilogram...

Does Jet Cat stop making P 120?

So, what do you think, will Jet Cat P 80 be enough for 2,1 meter wingspan model (without tip tanks) and 14 kg of weight?

Regards

Mirce
Hi Mirce,

Jetcat stop making the P120, and replace with the P140, the last 120SX, also has 30lbs thrust... The P80, and 120, are same size, 140 also i think, so if you make to fit P80, it will also fit the bigger turbine just fine, Maybe ok on the P80, but some will want more, so is a option...
The bigger turbine has higher fuel consumption, at full power, but is flown more on less throttle, so consumption is not so much a problem...

Keep up the good work... Jeremy.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 AM
mirce

Thank you Jeremy...

Regards from Serbia

Mirce
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM
mirce

In last ten days many things happened with this project.

I exchanged more than 15 mails with Ali, and he told me many interesting things. Ali have an amazing experience, so any advice is very important to me. Thank you Ali...

Man I needed to make the wings of Styrofoam canceled the cooperation, so I returned to plan to made constructive wing. I need to draw again plans, but constructive wings are for me best option.
Few days ago I visit our sport airport and take down all measure I need to made final drawings for fuselage, wings and tail section.
When I come home and comparing measures I was very pleased when saw how much my drawings are precise.
With measure I take from airplane, I have now all I need to start making wing and elevator.

In meantime, I made all ribs for fuselage. This are ribs which I drew from JPG's I get for Galeb G2. I have invested a lot of work to set all parameters for fuselage. Of course, this is just first step, I must work on fuselage, and all I made to draw back on plan.

For now it look like this:

For ribs I made crutch...

When I put ribs on crutch, it fits perfectly...

For now, this is fuselage...

Wing angle of attack is already built...

From German firm Behotec I ordered complete retract system. Plans for kit of this project, will be made for those retracts.
Behotec's retracts are high quality, and price is very acceptable...

Best regards

Mirce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.