Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log >

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't blame him! Beautiful work!
Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks! She’s taking shape!
Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 AM

I finished up the shear webbing on the left wing half yesterday and decided to look at the retract housing. Fokkerc provides you with the ply mounting plates and most importantly they install at the correct angles and elevation, however from there your on your own. The robart electric gear and 5” robart aluminum wheels I chose for this kit will work great, it’s just going to take some fitting and some trimming to get them installed properly. I’m also planning to add some extra structure to tie the mounts into the spar area around the retract housing. I didn’t get a chance to grab photos of this before I took off for work, but I’ll post progress when I return home.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:45 AM

I finished up the left wing retract housing yesterday. It’s been reinforced using tristock and bass formers. I’ll also fiberglass the two or 3 rib bays in that area. Took a bit of fitting, and trimming but it’s ready to drill at this point. I did need to shim the mounts about 2mm on the inboard side to allow the gear to retract fully. I also got to work on the left aileron. I decided to go with 3/32 bass sheet instead of the 4mm poplar ply as I would have been sanding half the ply material away to obtain the correct shape.

Old 02-13-2021, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good evening, I am making the exact same aircraft now. Is this aileron material included in the kit?
Old 02-13-2021, 05:42 AM

I have a production article on the ”Balsa Model Aircraft Builders Association” on facebook.
The following users liked this post:
flyingpiggy (02-15-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Takashi Matsui
Good evening, I am making the exact same aircraft now. Is this aileron material included in the kit?
Hi Takashi, The ribs and frames are included, but as I was saying I swapped out the frames for 3/32 bass sheeting as I didn’t want to have to sand away the majority of the poplar ply frame to achieve the thickness I was looking for.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:14 AM

After all it is the same material. I couldn't use ailerons or flaps. By the way, the radiator cover of the main wing is FRP, is it an option? My thing was plywood.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:17 AM

After all it is the same material. I couldn't use ailerons or flaps. By the way, the radiator cover of the main wing is FRP, is it an option? My thing was plywood.
I grabbed the fiberglass radiators from fliteskin Aeroscale. Rumen does supply the material to build them in the kit.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:28 AM

thank you for your answer. You bought the radiator separately, didn't you?
I previously asked about the size of the canopy. The ones that came with my kit are too small to use. I tried to upload an image to this forum but didn't know how.
I have a production article on my facebook.
Please see if you like.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:35 AM

thank you for your answer. You bought the radiator separately, didn't you?
I previously asked about the size of the canopy. The ones that came with my kit are too small to use. I tried to upload an image to this forum but didn't know how.
I have a production article on my facebook.
Please see if you like.
As I said I purchased the fiberglass radiators from fliteskin Aeroscale. Not sure on your canopy, the one supplied with my kit matches plan 100%. I would check out your build, but I don’t use Facebook.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:56 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Question on the wing structure: Does it use spruce or bass spars, and does the plan call for shear webs or trusses?
Old 02-13-2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lifer
Question on the wing structure: Does it use spruce or bass spars, and does the plan call for shear webs or trusses?
Hey John, so it’s got the main poplar ply spar that runs the length of wing, then upper and lower bass stringers along it. I then shear webbed all of that with 3/32 bass sheeting. This is paired with the carbon fiber tube. There isn’t a manual to say if this area is to be webbed or trussed. Though looking at the top view of the plans that is what could discern. The darker pattern on the plan is the CF tube.

Last edited by Wyoturbine; 02-13-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 AM

Seems like it would be a stout wing.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:18 AM

I think it will be, once I get the upper surface skinned I’ll lay up fiberglass in the bays surrounding the retract housings. I need to grab some balsa block so I can continue with wing tips and then leading edge
Old 02-17-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited to see not only someone building this kit, but also someone at our field! I can't wait to see this bird in the sky!
if I'm not mistaken I saw a promodeler servo in a few pics. I am a fan of promodeler servos. I have to planes with all promodeler servos and I have had excellent results.
This kit looks to be the most scale one I've seen yet! Thanks for sending me the link!
Old 02-17-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dcwwcp
I am very excited to see not only someone building this kit, but also someone at our field! I can't wait to see this bird in the sky!
if I'm not mistaken I saw a promodeler servo in a few pics. I am a fan of promodeler servos. I have to planes with all promodeler servos and I have had excellent results.
This kit looks to be the most scale one I've seen yet! Thanks for sending me the link!
Hey Don! Thanks for the kind words, that you did, she’ll be outfitted with promodeler throughout. Shannon got me onto these and I’ve set up a few aircraft with a few of them but this girl will be 100%. Lookin forward to flying with ya this spring!
Old 03-05-2021, 04:16 PM

Finally finished up the left wing retract housing, haven’t had a whole lot of time lately. I started on the leading edge and wing tip of the right side this afternoon, hopefully I’ll get some momentum going again!

Old 03-05-2021, 04:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Is that your P-40 pointing down to the bench?
Old 03-05-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lifer
Is that your P-40 pointing down to the bench?
Yes sir, I need to get her up the next time there’s a nice day.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:25 AM

I started working on flaps yesterday, the kit provides ply templates, since they’re all cut out of 4mm ply I needed to shape the trailing edge down a bit. I was able to try out the fliteskin for the first time as well. Awesome stuff, I used gorilla glue per their instructions and using clamps I was able to get the trailing edge to neck down to almost nothing, very cool product. I’ll finish sand them next then run the interior rib detail etc. Looking to do an internal linkage for these.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:12 AM

It’s been a busy spring with kid’s sports starting up etc but I’m finally getting some time to get back to the build. Finished up the servo box’s for ailerons and flaps. The kit comes with 4 servo trays for the wing servos and then the rest is up to you. I decided to run external linkages for the ailerons and an internal linkage set up for flaps. The aileron servo will lay flat and attach to the servo door much like some of the other giants I’ve built. The flap servo drops in and will be set up much like the hangar 9 30cc spitfire’s internal flap setup. Both servo doors are skinned with Flitskin.
Also started on the right wing’s leading edge and blocked the wing tip. I have some time today so I’ll begin sanding them to shape. I should be able to begin skinning the upper surface next.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 AM

The airplane is coming together nicely!
Old 04-09-2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The airplane is coming together nicely!
Thanks, is a process for sure! I was able to get my servo covers finished and mounted this morning before work. I also started out mapping nav lights. Figured this will be much easier prior to skinning the fuse and wing. I had to make the smallest incision in the coverall fabric on the rudder as I got ahead of my self when covering that but I can fix this easily. I’ll mod up a fairing for the bulb out of light gauge aluminum when I get home. Building will probably continue to be slow as the rest of my warbirds are ready to fly, as am I, and the weather is finally improving.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:46 PM

Got a much needed vacation and with the rains in nw Missouri was able to switch gears from flying to building. I set up my flap system with the upper door, still need to set up a spring to retract it when the flaps are retracted. I began skinning the left wing half. I decided to do the upper surface in balsa and lower in flight skin, (being that flight skin doesn’t like compound curves). So far so good, this is my first attempt at flight skin but I’m very pleased with how it’s going, I’ll finish sand the leading edge once that’s complete. I plan to wrap my fiberglass around it, joining the two together. I also was able to get my rudder light housing built up using light gauge tin. Nice to get going again, today was also beautiful here so I divided time between this in the morning and flying this afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.