Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log >

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FokkeRC 1/5 Spitfire MKIX build log

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Findgareth
Hi Wyoturbine!
Just received my Spit Mk9c from Rumen (aren’t he and Jiri at JP Warbirds great!). Many, many years since I last built a kit (and more years since I built a 13’ 3” sailing dinghy) and so laying the plans out was essential. The kit is great and the plans are excellent, containing a lot of information. That said, as I looked them over I can see your photos are going ot be a huge time saver - helping map pre-cut parts onto the plan in correct orientations. Thank you for your excellent posts.
Hi , here you can find more pictures also

https://www.fokkerc.com/user-builds/
Old 01-15-2023, 11:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Wyoturbine!
Just received my Spit Mk9c from Rumen (aren’t he and Jiri at JP Warbirds great!). Many, many years since I last built a kit (and more years since I built a 13’ 3” sailing dinghy) and so laying the plans out was essential. The kit is great and the plans are excellent, containing a lot of information. That said, as I looked them over I can see your photos are going ot be a huge time saver - helping map pre-cut parts onto the plan in correct orientations. Thank you for your excellent posts.
Glad I can be of help! Enjoy the build, it’s been a journey. I should be final sanding next week and mapping panel lines.
As Rumen posted his site has a lot of builds attached to it for more ideas and help, and there is a very nice 1/4 scale mkix build going on rcu right now as well.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:14 AM

Began laying aluminum and rivets to the ailerons, only 39,750 or so to go…

Old 01-24-2023, 08:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

39,874 was my final count......
Old 01-24-2023, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lifer
39,874 was my final count......
lol
Old 01-31-2023, 06:00 AM

Finished up the ailerons and started in working on the fuselage, beginning with right side cowl. Paul Monforton’s “Spitfire Engineered” has again been my go to manual for this.

The following users liked this post:
fokke (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:06 AM

Wow!!!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:26 AM

Getting there, but it’s slow going, but I’m really enjoying the process. And I need to say Thank you to Chad Veich for his rivet and hatchwork kit. Cutting all of this out of metal foil while do-able would be even more time consuming. Some of the leading edge material on the ailerons I still had to cut out myself but for scale square hatches and circular ones his kit has been a massive help.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:27 PM

Finished up the cowling yesterday and started mapping panel lines on the fuselage today. These will be scribed in. I also began running raised rivets aft of the cockpit. From the cockpit bulkhead forward to cowling look to be flush rivets, so I began running aero foil and using a brass pipe. Also installed the raised panel on the forward upper fuselage and dropped in the recessed fuel tank cap.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:10 PM

Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 PM

Default Question on your rudder

Hi Wyoturbine,
Making good use of your photos! In your rudder photo. Q. What material did you use to cover the rudder, and did you make the faux control horn or sourced from?
Anytime you’re in the shop with a few mins to spare, I’d love some photos of your servo positions (other than those set out on the plan - unless you needed to reposition or build different support) and control linkage paths, push/pull or pull/pull, and do you have a control horn recommendation?

How many rivets left to go?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2023, 03:47 AM

Hi Wyoturbine,
Making good use of your photos! In your rudder photo. Q. What material did you use to cover the rudder, and did you make the faux control horn or sourced from?
Anytime you’re in the shop with a few mins to spare, I’d love some photos of your servo positions (other than those set out on the plan - unless you needed to reposition or build different support) and control linkage paths, push/pull or pull/pull, and do you have a control horn recommendation?

How many rivets left to go?

Thanks!
Hi Gareth,
The fabric is sig koverall, which was sealed for paint, the tapes are “pink-it strips” that are from dynamic balsa. Most of the scale details such as trim actuators are from Jiri at JPWarbirds. For actual control horns I’m using HD dubro horns if I remember correctly. I’m out of town for some training this week but when I get home I’ll post some photos of my servo locations and pull/pull setup. On rivets I’ve lost count…quick answer, there is a lot left, but slow progress is better than zero progress!

The following users liked this post:
Findgareth (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:06 AM

Best of luck with your training, Captain.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:45 AM

Awesome details. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2023, 05:19 AM

Your welcome! And Thanks John! I’ll call you when I get back into town.

Last edited by Wyoturbine; 02-10-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:55 AM

Finished up my fillets and began riveting the aft fuselage. Gareth, I attached a couple photos of the interior elevator servo and rudder/tailwheel location which is pull/pull for rudder and paired with a pushrod for tailwheel. Its location is under the cockpit seat, still needs some finishing work on the box area but you get the idea hopefully. After I finish the rivets and hatchwork on the fuselage I’ll re-install my engine, fuel tank, throttle and choke servos. I’ll build a servo plate either from g-10 or ply. Then paint and finish the cockpit area.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:26 AM

Default Looking fantastic

Thanks tor the servo photos John. Progress slowed here (dog sitting thru’ grandkids). That plus I, err, have a tail to rebuild (I should have built it off the plan not on the fuselage. Horiz stab ready to cover, as is the rudder, elevators have a little more sanding before koverall. I wasn’t happy with the vertical on the tail plus it was not as rigid as I wanted, so going to add a couple CF 4mm rods. Adds a little weight but worth it I think.

Fuselage is nice, straight and level (laser levels are cool!). Still impressed with Rumen’s FokkeRC short kit, and Jiri (JP Warbirds) is brilliant!

In the absence of kit instructions, your photos are really useful. My progress suggests I may finish by the next ice age!

BTW, how did your flap servo linkage/horn cover revision work out?
Old 02-17-2023, 07:56 AM

Thanks tor the servo photos John. Progress slowed here (dog sitting thru’ grandkids). That plus I, err, have a tail to rebuild (I should have built it off the plan not on the fuselage. Horiz stab ready to cover, as is the rudder, elevators have a little more sanding before koverall. I wasn’t happy with the vertical on the tail plus it was not as rigid as I wanted, so going to add a couple CF 4mm rods. Adds a little weight but worth it I think.

Fuselage is nice, straight and level (laser levels are cool!). Still impressed with Rumen’s FokkeRC short kit, and Jiri (JP Warbirds) is brilliant!

In the absence of kit instructions, your photos are really useful. My progress suggests I may finish by the next ice age!

BTW, how did your flap servo linkage/horn cover revision work out?
I added some bass stringers in the vertical stab for rigidity as well, I think it’s a good idea. I’ll get some photos of my flaps and aileron servo hatches here in a bit.
And yes the laser comes in handy, a lot!
Old 02-17-2023, 08:12 AM

Here’s flap and servo access hatches, flaps are internal linkages, ailerons are external linkages(servo box built onto door).

Aileron hatch

Flap servo access
Old 02-19-2023, 05:45 AM

Finished up riveting the right side up to the tail, installed the upper communication light and flare chute. Now to catch up the left side.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:32 PM

Left sides caught up, brought her out into the daylight today. I’m hoping to jump into the tail sections the next couple days.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Great photos, even better craftsmanship! To posts from way, way earlier, the spinner profile really did work out well.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:07 PM

Great photos, even better craftsmanship! To posts from way, way earlier, the spinner profile really did work out well.
Thanks! Taking it panel at a time seems to lesson the headaches and getting cross eyed. The spinner was a hard one, I think I looked into 4 various models until I found this one from Fliteskin Aeroscale.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:18 AM

Left vert stab and saddle finished, I chose to run metal on the upper saddle but I decided to build up the forward saddle panels as the curves were too abrupt to get foil to burnish down without tearing or wrinkling. Under paint it’ll give same panel effect and it’s nice and smooth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.