Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM
jjackso5

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Ok Tankers, there are a few of us looking to see if there is any interest n getting together for an outdoor run late in October or early November. Remember this is Michigan and its late in the season to be outdoors, but if there is some interest we'd like to try to get together. This would be at a private residence, with little kids and neighbors around, so everyone has to be on their best behavior.
If you have any interest please contact me and I can provide additional information. Our thoughts were to do this on a Saturday from about 10 or 11 to 3 or 4 depending on the weather and the number of tankers that show up. Then, we'll battle or run a drivers course for those new to running their tanks. We can also be available for assistance with set up and operation of the tanks if necessary.
Again, please let us know if there is any interest and we'll go from there.
I'll look forward to your response, enjoy this great hobby,
Happy Tanking,
Jim
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

What city will this be in? Does this have anything to do with Detroit tank command?
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM
jjackso5

This would be in Brighton, Michigan. I don't understand your question. Please clarify what you would like to know.

Where are you located, "Detroit Rock City"?

Thank you for your response,

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 10-17-2019, 08:57 AM
tomtank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Crius

I'm at 5 Mile and Telegraph. Are you the same Jim that started Detroit Tank Command? I've seen photos of that Battlefield and it looked pretty good. I was told that Battlefield is in Brighton. It's kind of a long drive for me, especially since I don't have a tamiya compatible battle tank, but I'm always up for meeting fellow tankers that I don't know yet.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 AM
jjackso5

Crius, yes I am that person, somewhat older and now disabled, but hobbling around try to work on my tanks. I've been laid up for awhile and I'm trying to get back to building and running tanks. I've tried a couple of other things, but I'm not that moble that I can go very far on most days.
The battlefield is my back yard, though it needs work now and moving forward it might look very different, but I can't do much of the work required myself so it'll take me some time if I'm able to get it done. There are still a few of the guys from the DTC group that might be interested too.
What system do you have on your tanks? What tanks do you have? I have done only Tamiya since that was how I started, with a Leopard A4, along time ago!
Anyhow, tankers are welcome and we'll see what we can develop. Just let me know if you're thinking of trying to come out. I'll post a hard date to know how many think they'll make it, so I can figure out what we'll do.
Thank you again for contacting me, I'll look forward to seeing you in the coming months.
Happy Tanking,
Jim

Last edited by jjackso5; 10-17-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Crius

Most of my tanks are Airsoft, but I do have one that has an asp but I've never been able to get it to take and receive hits and then I have the new 6.0 HL JP that will take and receive hits from your tanks, but there's no provision for reduced speed due to battle damage and they don't have different tank classes. The main reason I have never bought a Tamiya tank is simply because I don't have any place to battle and I can't see spending that much money for a tank that I won't be able to battle with. If you manage to get DTC back up and running and get something regular going on then I'll spend the money and get a Sherman so I can convert it to an E-8.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I was in Detroit for a week in September 2017. Stayed at a cool Air BnB place in Mexicantown; a lot of old brick building over there.
Went to a couple of Tigers Vs A's games explored the city and visited the Ford museum and one hobby shop. It's an interesting area
We'd like to come back and stay at the Shinola hotel! Maybe I could look up you local tankers if/when we come back...

Jerry
Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 AM
EOT

I'm still in Jim and so are the other 2 we talked about, provided the GM situation hasn't changed. Oh and I'm planning to go to Danville the weekend of Nov 10th.

EOT
Old 10-18-2019, 01:26 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm still in England, so won't be partaking this time around - Post some pictures somewhere so that I can see what I'm missing.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM
jjackso5

Martin, yes of course, we'll get you some pictures, though it won't be the same without you! I hope you're doing well and getting to run some tanks as well as your 3D stuff I thought you we're doing. How is that going? I'm just getting around, still wrestling with my health issues, but trying to get some fun in as well. More later.

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 10-18-2019, 05:30 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I REALLY need this before the new year is up. The drive might be 8 or 9 hours but it would eliminate the hotel thing.

I'm so rusty in battle that an obstacle course or parade lap would be just find but need to know what weekend for sure for work issues. We could all take turns warming up in our cars or if the neighbors would allow fires.

Let me know,

Jeff
Old 10-19-2019, 05:41 AM
jjackso5

Panther, thank you for your response. I'm going to try to confirm this date/time this weekend and post it. Then we can plan more from there. Because this is at my home, yes we can have a fire, I have a fire pit and plenty of wood, thanks to some donor trees the last couple of years. As this is an outside event, the weather is not always our friend, so dress or have clothes for the weather. At this point it looks like we might have 6 or so tankers that want to do something. Again, I'll post more later this weekend. I have to have someone help we set up as well, I don't move too well anymore, but I try. One of the local guys will do this, and we have to do it the morning of the event, animals might damage the buildings/trees, etc.
So it would be great to see you again, its been several years since I was able to down at an event in Indiana.
Thank you again for your interest, I'll post the date/time later this weekend.
Happy Tanking,
Jim
Old 10-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh yes, the MACV Group! My first battle day was January 1st, 2005 with Lynn, Will, Dennis and others. It was a great time while it lasted for me. I discovered arthritis in the neck so I couldn't drive until some nerve therapy was performed. But I attended maybe 6 or 8 into 2006. Learned alot and was well worth the over 2 1/2 drive one way.

And I do believe it was you that provided for me the "How-To" wire fire buttons too. I still have those magazines "On the Battlefront" that Kenneth worked on. The Church in Plymouth was the best of times and sure do miss it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:40 AM
jjackso5

Panther, yes MACV was the inspiration for the DTC club as well. I got a lot of information and tips from them. I even had a couple of their guys come up to a battle day here at one point too. Miss those guys.
Anyhow, at this point it appears we've heard from 6 guys that have said they'd like to battle. You would be the 7th guy, the weather is supposed to be low 50's but no rain. I think we need to have a couple more guys to make this an event. I'm going to send a note out to the DTC guys again and see if I get any additional people. I'll let you know, I'll post more information here.

Thank you for your interest, talk soon,

Happy Tanking

Jim
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Crius

I hope this works out well, and you get a good turnout. As for me, I don't do cold weather. If you do some battle days next summer I'll be sure to attend, but you're not getting me out of the house until the high temperature is up towards 80 again. I'm just wondering how many guys will be scared if I bring the big 1/6 scale hetzer with the .50 caliber paintball Cannon. Maybe I should leave that one at home.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

You'll be fine Gary, Jim's backyard is pretty wooded and sheltered from the wind.

(you might want to leave the 50Cal at home tho - that one might scare the neighbours... )
Old 10-22-2019, 05:43 AM
jjackso5

Tankers, due to a life event" I need to reschedule the proposed tank battle/run day to November 2. I have a funeral that I must attend for a very good friend of ours.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause/create for you but it is out of my control. Please let me know if any of you would be available and want to still try to get together on Nov 2. It is a Saturday. Hoping the weather will hold, and this could be the "warm up" for the battle at the AAF Museum the following weekend, November 9/10 I believe.

Again I apologize for having to postpone this event, but life events cant be scheduled, they just happen. Please let me know you thoughts.

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM
EOT

Jim, I'm in for Nov. 2nd

Mike
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM
throwscoach

Jim,
I am in, if this lets me post.
I will need help moving/walking/putting tanks on ground etc.
George

Last edited by throwscoach; 10-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:13 AM
jjackso5

Coach, of course we can help you, just imagine me trying to help you and not fall over! Might be worth the price of "admission"!! Anyhow, I'm sure we can work this out. I'll try to have a wagon to assist with your tanks, etc. Let me know if you need anything else. Beside, I know you just want to shoot at me!, You'll have to catch me in your sights first! See you Nov. 2.

Talk soon,

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 10-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny how you guys are talking about it being cold... was 97 degrees here in FL yesterday
Oh and forecast said only 90 as a high.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Well now, sucks to be you now don't it...
Old 10-28-2019, 10:01 AM
jjackso5

Well I think I'd settle for the mid 50's for an outdoor event here in southeastern Michigan in November, but I don't think we're going to be even close to that on Saturday November 2, 2019. As of today, Monday October 29, 2019 Saturday is a HIGH of 41 degrees F and cloudy with a frozen mix the previous night! So I'll continue to watch this and let you know if it changes. I don't know how people feel about being outside to battle given that temperature and possible wintery mixture, though the theme of the club/group was the "Battle of the Bulge" this could be perfect (ha-ha), so you'll have to let me know your thoughts. I can have a fire in the pit, but that may not be enough, so again I'm looking for feedback from those of you that are thinking about coming. Your responses will also guide me in the clean up I need to do as well. There is millions of leave to move, the by product of living where I do, looks nice but it can be a challenge to get ready for an event.

Please let me know your thoughts on doing this say by Thursday, Oct 31. Threats only, no tricks please! If you're out of the area, not in southeastern Michigan, northern Ohio, then I might suggest that you wait until springtime to come up here. I'll have more area cleared and the weather should be more amenable to being outside and battling or just running your tanks. Again, let me know your thoughts.

I may try to arrange an indoor location as well, but I'm waiting to hear back from someone I know that owns an industrial building. More to follow on that.

Thank you again for your interest, let me know if you have any ideas for winter meeting/battle/run locations.

Happy Tanking,

Jim
Old 10-29-2019, 01:46 PM
throwscoach

Jim,
Now the forecasted high is 39 and rain.............so if you find a indoor I am in otherwise lets battle next spring
George

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.