Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long 6.0 IR Battle System review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long 6.0 IR Battle System review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:32 PM
Fsttanks

Received 257 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Yea, so that's a huge disadvantage if your battling tamiya apples. No joy. Thanks again for all you've put into this.
When all the nuances written about prior are considered it’s not a huge disadvantage. The 6.0 “Apple” has shown it requires generally better aimed shots to hit which in turn makes them a harder target then Tamiya “Apples”. During IR battling past 20-25ft they have proven to be quite frustrating for those use to shooting only at Tamiya “Apples” because of the difference between Tamiya “point in the direction” shot/hit vs 6.0 “aimed” shot/hit.

I have had to let folks have gunner time shooting at me prior to and after battling just to prove the system is taking hits and where the 6.0 “Apple” needs to be aimed at in order to register hits reliably. Even after proving the system works and where to shoot it many folks still find the 6.0 IR systems harder to hit. I don’t, but then I have been shooting at them a bit more then most.

All that said I think the 6.0 stock IR receiver is mediocre, yet is still better then the old HL/Taigen ones. I would love to see HL make a higher end model closer to the performance of the Tamiya IR receiver. Until then the 6.0/1 system will never live up to its full potential.
The following users liked this post:
tankman (03-31-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:51 PM
RichJohnson

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

Fsttanks is correct about the battles. The 6.0 tanks seem to have an advantage merely because they are different. I was killing his tank and didnt know it. One draw back is the lack of sufficient warning lights. Fsttanks added some but I still could not see them.
The HL tanks require lower aiming points to hit. Once you learn how to hit them, I was hitting nearly every shot in a battle. It depends on how you play with them in a battle as to your success. Fsttanks is quite aggressive in leading attacks. His wingman his son, is alot more sneaky and is very deadly on the field.
There are nuances with the HL tanks that require you to modify how you play. Pop shots take longer. A tamiya will score a hit with a blink of IR from a tank popping out that had fired as it left cover and then backed back into cover. The HL requires a longer on target time from the firing tank or it wont register. My team began to dedicate me to take on the HL tanks in a spearhead because I had an MBT and could take more fire while slugging it out with the 6.0 system tanks.
All in all, there are unfair advantages, and drawbacks, to the 6.0 that make it something different to battle against or with. I find it fun and challenging to battle against them.
IMHO the major short fall is that I still could not see the additional hit indicator LEDs that Fsttanks had added. A better solution will come about eventually with his expirementaions. I suggested a huge police beacon on top the tank lol.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:10 PM
Fsttanks

UPDATE:

I have finished testing a new aftermarket IR receiver that is compatible with the 6.0 Heng Long battle system. It has excellent performance in all lighting conditions and easily receives hit from 75 + feet away with a consistency rate of 85-90%. About equal to the performance Tamiya battle system and its receiver.

I will be posting a short review in another thread titled "New compatible 6.0 Heng Long high performance IR battle receiver"

I have posted some of the test photos and videos on my Instagram @fstanks. Feel free to check them out.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:13 AM
BlitzPig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@fstanks What are your thoughts on the two types of sun shades offered for the new HL LEGO IR sensors?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by BlitzPig
@fstanks What are your thoughts on the two types of sun shades offered for the new HL LEGO IR sensors?
The 360 makes mounting easier as less attention needs to be paid to orientation of the IR receiving “bulbs” (not the LEDs). The 45 needs to have the IR bulbs set with bulbs oriented at the 12-3-6-9 “o’clock” positions to mimic the harder to hit angle performance of the Tamiya receiver. Since one has to modify the mounting location on the HL turret much more to achieve the proper angles for the 45 setting position this can be a challenge for those with less buildings skills and thus the 360 makes it an easier process.

I tested both and I like both. The 360 is just a little easier to hit then a Tamiya receiver out past 30-40 feet. The hit indication LEDs are harder to see at that range in bright light but the tank still does its “hit dance”.

Middle tank is using the 360 sunshade.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-02-2020 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlitzPig (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM
BlitzPig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for putting in the time with testing these. Much appreciated. And thanks to LegoDEI for making them!
Old 04-13-2020, 05:19 AM
Enzo_K

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like Henglong 6.0 works just fine for a casual tank battle player in many ways.
I have 3 tanks with Henglong 6.0 MFU right now, just for its low price and easy installation. And I'm ok with its IR battle system since I don't have a local club to battle with, its just me and myself. lol

However, I just found a pretty good aftermarket MFU on Taobao recently, it's about 90 USD for the MFU only. And according to their videos, it fit Henglong 6.0 board tanks(you don't need rewiring everything). Also, it controls and sounds as good as Elmod MFU. So if you plus that 90 bucks with a cheap 8 channel radio, which is about 50 bucks or so, you will be sitting around 150 bucks for something that performs as good as Elmod MFU.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:05 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
Looks like Henglong 6.0 works just fine for a casual tank battle player in many ways.
I have 3 tanks with Henglong 6.0 MFU right now, just for its low price and easy installation. And I'm ok with its IR battle system since I don't have a local club to battle with, its just me and myself. lol

However, I just found a pretty good aftermarket MFU on Taobao recently, it's about 90 USD for the MFU only. And according to their videos, it fit Henglong 6.0 board tanks(you don't need rewiring everything). Also, it controls and sounds as good as Elmod MFU. So if you plus that 90 bucks with a cheap 8 channel radio, which is about 50 bucks or so, you will be sitting around 150 bucks for something that performs as good as Elmod MFU.
Forgive me but how does your post relate to the thread topic? It is well known that there are a number of aftermarket MFU/control boards that are fully Tamiya IR battle compatible and use hobby grade transmitters. This thread is focused though on improving the STOCK HL 6.0 systems abilities in IR battling as far as possible with simple and inexpensive aftermarket improvements like the LegoDEI IR receiver. It is not about replacing the 6.0 system entirely.

I am sure there are people myself included that would enjoy reading about this new unnamed MFU. Maybe you could start a new thread topic and once you have one in hand then write a review on it covering all aspects of performance not just “good” sound.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-13-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 PM
Enzo_K

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
Forgive me but how does your post relate to the thread topic? It is well known that there are a number of aftermarket MFU/control boards that are fully Tamiya IR battle compatible and use hobby grade transmitters. This thread is focused though on improving the STOCK HL 6.0 systems abilities in IR battling as far as possible with simple and inexpensive aftermarket improvements like the LegoDEI IR receiver. It is not about replacing the 6.0 system entirely.

I am sure there are people myself included that would enjoy reading about this new unnamed MFU. Maybe you could start a new thread topic and once you have one in hand then write a review on it covering all aspects of performance not just “good” sound.
I was trying to express that if anyone, like me, thinks the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system performance meets their demand. Yet they might interested to get an MFU with a better sound performance that is also a Henglong 6.0 IR battle system "plug&play". They could consider this "unnamed MFU" I was talking about.

And as I appreciate you are reviewing and improving the Henglong 6.0 IR battling. Showing people what a Henglong 6.0 IR battle system can do and how it can be easily improved. I thought this piece of information might just come in handy someday in the future.

As for starting a new thread to talk about this MFU. If anyone saw my post, I could go google it and maybe start a new thread to talk about it, for whoever might be interested in getting one. Again, just like me, who might be ok with the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system, but are interested to get an MFU with Henglong 6.0 IR battling but a "better sound". And with only 90 bucks for the price.

If your thread does not welcome any other MFU information, even it's Henglong 6.0 IR battling compatible and Henglong 6.0 tank "plug&play", I will do so.

Last edited by Enzo_K; 04-13-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:28 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Enzo_K
I was trying to express that if anyone, like me, thinks the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system performance meets their demand. Yet they might interested to get an MFU with a better sound performance that is also a Henglong 6.0 IR battle system "plug&play". They could consider this "unnamed MFU" I was talking about.

And as I appreciate you are reviewing and improving the Henglong 6.0 IR battling. Showing people what a Henglong 6.0 IR battle system can do and how it can be easily improved. I thought this piece of information might just come in handy someday in the future.

As for starting a new thread to talk about this MFU. If anyone saw my post, I could go google it and maybe start a new thread to talk about it, for whoever might be interested in getting one. Again, just like me, who might be ok with the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system, but are interested to get an MFU with Henglong 6.0 IR battling but a "better sound". And with only 90 bucks for the price.

If your thread does not welcome any other MFU information, even it's Henglong 6.0 IR battling compatible and Henglong 6.0 tank "plug&play", I will do so.
To address your last sentence:

I appreciate your input but this thread is not about swapping out MFUs. Its about the stock MFU performance and maximizing the IR receivers performance to work BETTER with Tamiya based protocol systems for as little investment as possible for those folks new to tanks. Otherwise myself and others would have recommended folks reading this to simply replace the 6.0 with a tried and true Clark TK2_ or IBU2 and have full compatibility long ago.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-13-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Enzo_K

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
To address you last sentence:

I appreciate your input but this thread is not about swapping out MFUs. Its about the stock MFU performance and maximizing the IR receivers performance to work BETTER with Tamiya based protocol systems for as little investment as possible for those folks new to tanks. Otherwise myself and others would have recommended folks reading this to simply replace the 6.0 with a tried and true Clark TK2_ or IBU2 and have full compatibility long ago.
Again, I'm not suggesting folks to simply replace the MFU. I was just suggesting if you are happy with the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system. And have read this thread about how you can improve the Henglong 6.0 IR battle system. And beyond that, you want an MFU that uses the same Henglong 6.0 IR battle system, with a better sound performance, a low price(90bucks) and a Henglong 6.0 tank "plug&play" feature. Maybe you can find my post helpful.
Say: hey, I know you guys have heard about other MFU like Clark and IBU are compatible with Henglong tanks, but this one is only 90 bucks. And it claims to use the same Henglong 6.0 IR battle system on their product website. You might just be able to apply things you learned from this thread to this MFU. So if anyone is interested in this MFU, I can dig deeper into it.

Peace
Old 04-13-2020, 11:08 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I am curious about that new MFU, you should create a new thread with as much info as possible.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:17 AM
Enzo_K

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
I am curious about that new MFU, you should create a new thread with as much info as possible.
on the way Have post all the information I know about this MFU right now.