Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New to RC need a Servo but not sure what to get

Old 10-09-2018, 12:25 PM
archemedes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC need a Servo but not sure what to get

Not sure where this belongs but hopefully it is in the right spot.

I am building a large RC "Vehicle" for a Maker Faire in my town. It will be an entertainment center with a television in it. I have roughly estimated that it will weigh about 250 lbs. My problem is finding a servo to drive the steering on the front wheels. I am unsure how to calculate the torque required to turn wheels under that pressure in a reasonable amount of time. I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible so I don't want to pay for more power than I need, but I also don't know where to begin. So with that in mind, does anyone know how to figure out the torque required, and also if possible a motor that would fit my needs? I'm sure you'd need more variables for the device, but I am not yet sure what is needed, so if you want clarification ask away.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:48 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you'll find a typical "RC" servo that will do this job. And even if you do, the price may frighten you off. I see two options for you.

1. Have some kind of power steering system to take the load off any servo.
2. Contact the various servo/radio manufacturers to see what they have to say. Most of them are quite helpful to questions. But not all.

Servo City has what they call servo gear boxes. A large servo with an even larger gear set. Massive torque but travel/rotation time is now measured in seconds. Another possibility from them is a linear servo. You can see both of them here:

Servo City
Old 10-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's going to require a lot of torque, you're better off looking to a linear actuator. We have 2 servos that might do the job if they were setup in tandem, but the price starts out at $500ea. This might get more complicated than you are really wanting it to.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:27 PM
[email protected]

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google "Seiko" RC Servos.
Also, instead of using one servo, you might be able to do the job with a servo on each wheel, at less cost!