Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Vortex F3A build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 11:44 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GorillaToast
Alex, I just want to say that this build thread is very informative. Thanks so much for posting it.

One quick question... in the first page, you have pictures of the fuselage construction and it looks like you are holding the bottom pieces down to a melamine topped building board with straight pins. Is that correct? I can't even begin to get a T-pin to go into melamine.
Thanks, i'm glad you find this thread helpful.
You are right, it's a melamine topped board and normally the pins bend because the surface is pretty tough. That's why i shortened all the pins with a hand plier before hammering them into the melamine board. Some of the pins will still bend, but i think around 90% of them will stay straight because the length is around half than normal.
There are probably better materials out there, but this was cheap, straight and available everywhere. They can also cut them perfectly straight at the hardware store, so it's possible to create a nice straight building table using a few parts attached perpendicular to each other.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:00 PM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, Alex. I've got a melamine board as well, but I also got hold of a large piece of glass from a storm door and when I get a piece of sheet metal, I'm gonna use magnets.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:25 AM
Juanemartinboix

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The old Graupner building boards were balsa plywood . I Can imagine covering the melamine with a layer of 1/4" hard balsa . When building large projects, I have cheap plywood holow doors . The wood is soft enough and as straight as it can be .
Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

I use an isoplane door with plywood siding, it's very cheap.
claude
Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 AM
Alex Voicu

Thanks for the suggestions, using a door panel sounds like a good idea. I hope to use it in the future
Old 10-06-2020, 03:10 AM
Kevchiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am struggling building the canopy and cowl. Was wondering if anyone was kind enough to share an stl file or formers they could share to help. Thanks
Old 10-06-2020, 11:04 PM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by Kevchiz
I am struggling building the canopy and cowl. Was wondering if anyone was kind enough to share an stl file or formers they could share to help. Thanks
Hi, you can download the cowl and canopy 3D models in STL format here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XLJ...AM36tRnXF0f4ky
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 AM
Kevchiz

Wow Alex, Thanks so much for that greatly appreciated. Cant wait to get building again. Thanks again
Old 10-07-2020, 06:14 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cowl and canopy

I have already made the molds and parts are available to purchase if you want. I also laser cut the whole kit.

Epoxy Glass kits, Short Kits, Laser cut wood kits ,Fiberglass parts and much more.. Proudly made in the U.S.A. rcaiir.com
email: [email protected]
Old 10-07-2020, 07:47 AM
HPiorun

Don Just wondering how my kit is coming along? It's been a while.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:39 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Your Kit Order

Henry

I 'm still cutting and I believe it will be done by the end of this week. Unbelievable how long to cut this kit over 100 sheets of contest balsa. It's about 10 times more time than most kits to cut. But it is all looking great.
Did you see how much balsa has gone up? I just got told by my suppliers that my orders are up 130% on top of my 2020 prices. It is crazy, my last order of $10,000.00 is now $23,000.00.
I had to raise all kit prices and the prices on wood packs this month. I'll be in touch with your tracking info. Stay well!
Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM
HPiorun

Great! Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:25 PM
Kevchiz

Default Rear mounted motor front

Hi, wondering if anyone had any images of how the rear mounted motor is attached to the fuz. There is a great side view of it but cannot see any pictures on how the Engine box attaches to the front of the plane. If someone could please share that would be great.
thanks

kev
Old 10-09-2020, 04:00 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by Kevchiz
Hi, wondering if anyone had any images of how the rear mounted motor is attached to the fuz. There is a great side view of it but cannot see any pictures on how the Engine box attaches to the front of the plane. If someone could please share that would be great.
thanks

kev
Hi Kev,
The motor mount tabs go through the slots in the firewall, then you need to add some triangular balsa reinforcements around the joints, on both sides of the firewall. I hope the images below explain it pretty clearly. I'm not sure, but the backmounted version may be a bit heavier than the front mounted one.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alex Voicu:
Andrey15 (10-10-2020), Kevchiz (10-09-2020), wattsup (10-09-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 02:51 AM
Alex Voicu

Andrey's Vortex is nearing completion. He had to wait for more than a month for some light balsa sheets, but now he has all he needs to finish it.
Unfortunately he can't post pictures here yet (needs more than 10 posts on RCU), so i'll post them for him:

The following 4 users liked this post by Alex Voicu:
Andrey15 (11-10-2020), Juanemartinboix (11-11-2020), Ricardo M. (11-10-2020), robin24 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:32 AM
Juanemartinboix

Nice composite work men
The following users liked this post:
Andrey15 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:39 AM
Juanemartinboix

Originally Posted by frequent flyer
I have already made the molds and parts are available to purchase if you want. I also laser cut the whole kit.

Epoxy Glass kits, Short Kits, Laser cut wood kits ,Fiberglass parts and much more.. Proudly made in the U.S.A. rcaiir.com
email: [email protected]
This is the kind of things that make me think about a medium balsa version of the vortex. In the end medium balsa has the best specific strenght....its almost a matter of making the holes bigger or going thinner. You can´t go deep into this route as structure need support but I think is worth considering.
perttime (11-11-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:19 AM
eduaero

Hi Alex Voicu ,
your design is great and very helpful for the ones that likes building.
since the competition grade balsa is so difficult to get nowadays, do you thing is there any parts of your model that could be made in depron, thin foam or any other alternate material instead?
Old 12-30-2020, 02:57 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by eduaero
Hi Alex Voicu ,
your design is great and very helpful for the ones that likes building.
since the competition grade balsa is so difficult to get nowadays, do you thing is there any parts of your model that could be made in depron, thin foam or any other alternate material instead?
Hi Eduaero,
I suppose you can replace the built-up wings and stabs with foam core construction. The shape would have to be modified a little, since you can't have a curved leading edge on the foam cores.
For the fuselage i don't think you can replace any of the balsa frames with depron, at least not without increasing the thickness significantly to have the same strength. This would require a complete redesign of the structure in the area of the depron parts due to the large number of interlocking parts.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:15 PM
eduaero

Originally Posted by Alex Voicu
Hi Eduaero,
I suppose you can replace the built-up wings and stabs with foam core construction. The shape would have to be modified a little, since you can't have a curved leading edge on the foam cores.
For the fuselage i don't think you can replace any of the balsa frames with depron, at least not without increasing the thickness significantly to have the same strength. This would require a complete redesign of the structure in the area of the depron parts due to the large number of interlocking parts.
thank you for taking the time to elaborate your response. You invested a lot of time to get this great design. I am not likely to change any bit of it so I will patiently try to find the adequate balsa you indicate
Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 AM
Juanemartinboix

By the way ,is there a bill of materials?
Sometimes comparing material per se is not fair as the total ammount does not add that much.Maybe just a couple of hundeeds....
Old 12-31-2020, 03:05 AM
Juanemartinboix

Being said that ,I think planking can be done in 1.5 mm medium balsa if the builder is good enough to avoid extensive sanding.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by Juanemartinboix
By the way ,is there a bill of materials?
The drawings are grouped in folders, depending on the material used so you can simply count the number of sheets in each folder. Obviously for a 500x200mm balsa sheet you will need to cut a 1m long sheet in half and attach the 2 pieces together with CA adhesive.

Apart from the laser cut parts, you will need 2mm balsa for sheeting. Here's a rough estimation for the minimum number of 2mm sheets needed:
fuselage: 16
wing:16
stab: 6
fin: 3

The rudder is the only part sheeted with 1.5mm balsa to keep the weight as low as possible (2 sheets needed).
Old 01-05-2021, 05:15 AM
dmendas66

Nice design. I am planning to start the building nest month. I am searching for the STL of the wheelPants, but I can not find it.
Is it possible to have it?
Thanks a lot
Old 01-06-2021, 01:34 AM
Alex Voicu

Originally Posted by dmendas66
Nice design. I am planning to start the building nest month. I am searching for the STL of the wheelPants, but I can not find it.
Is it possible to have it?
Thanks a lot
My plan was to buy the wheelpants, so the models in my 3d files are just placeholders. Normally you need a flat area around the wheel axle so you can glue a piece of plywood inside; my wheelpant models don't have that so it's probably better to purchase a pair.
dmendas66 (01-07-2021)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.