Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
If you have not received your ordered T1 already it's going to cost an additional $200 for UPS shipping or you will have to wait until after the New year. Apparently, EMS is no longer taking large boxes. My mini has been sent back twice.
Tone
That's disappointing to hear. Were you told this by Dirk and company? Were you given tracking information and saw the info there? When did you order yours? Thank you.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I ordered my T-1 (not Mini) on 11/4 and was told by Dirk it should* arrive in Jan 2020 but if I waited too much longer it wouldn’t be until after the Chinese New Year. Hopefully it makes it in Jan!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by T3chDad
That's disappointing to hear. Were you told this by Dirk and company? Were you given tracking information and saw the info there? When did you order yours? Thank you.
I order my mini July 16th of this year. I asked for a special paint scheme so I expected it to take a little bit longer than the 8 weeks quoted. I contacted Dirk earlier this month on 11/7 and was told that it had shipped and been returned. I contacted him yesterday and was informed that it was returned again and that EMS was no longer accepting large boxes due to the holidays and that I could pay the extra $200 for UPS shipping or wait and try again after Christmas.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 11-20-2019, 06:23 PM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Tone.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I order my mini July 16th of this year. I asked for a special paint scheme so I expected it to take a little bit longer than the 8 weeks quoted. I contacted Dirk earlier this month on 11/7 and was told that it had shipped and been returned. I contacted him yesterday and was informed that it was returned again and that EMS was no longer accepting large boxes due to the holidays and that I could pay the extra $200 for UPS shipping or wait and try again after Christmas.
Thanks,
Tone
Well this is informative. I ordered mine July 8th. I was actually going to contact Dirk today and find out if a refund was possible. With the gear and brake problems people seem to be having and almost twenty weeks of waiting, I've just about lost interest.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:24 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterburners
Well this is informative. I ordered mine July 8th. I was actually going to contact Dirk today and find out if a refund was possible. With the gear and brake problems people seem to be having and almost twenty weeks of waiting, I've just about lost interest.
Strangely enough the Mini t-1 is the only JP that I haven’t had problems.....ya the brakes are not very good, but I don’t think I would be without one...it fly’s very well, and small enough to bring to the field no trailer....

I’m putting Electron on mine, but that’s because I have a set of e30 that does nothing in the shop......otherwise I wouldn’t change the gear at least not right now.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:55 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Before shipping via UPS, I would check with them regarding import duties from China. I order pylon planes from Canada occasionally. The UPS driver always makes me write him a check for the import taxes before he will release my planes
Old 11-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by cbk07
Before shipping via UPS, I would check with them regarding import duties from China. I order pylon planes from Canada occasionally. The UPS driver always makes me write him a check for the import taxes before he will release my planes
All your getting is the UPS Canada welcome......UPS/FedEx ect rip-off Canadian all the time, I now ship all those to the border no taxes.....
Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
Strangely enough the Mini t-1 is the only JP that I haven’t had problems.....ya the brakes are not very good, but I don’t think I would be without one...it fly’s very well, and small enough to bring to the field no trailer....

I’m putting Electron on mine, but that’s because I have a set of e30 that does nothing in the shop......otherwise I wouldn’t change the gear at least not right now.
Same here, I'm only considering going with the Electrons because I have a set sitting around NIB. I have two Minis, and I'm not considering changing out the JP gear on both, only one. Using the LG-15 controller I have found the JP brakes to be more than adequate with the magnets removed, I have posted a couple of videos in this thread of my Minis braking hard after landing. - Tom
Old 11-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Dansy

The magnets are removed and I have the LG15 in the mini as well and brakes are weak.....and yes it’s program correctly and I have try many many time to fix them.....in the end it doesn’t matter...moving on.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Dansy
The magnets are removed and I have the LG15 in the mini as well and brakes are weak.....and yes it’s program correctly and I have try many many time to fix them.....in the end it doesn’t matter...moving on.
I understand, the variation in quality and performance is frustrating.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:38 AM
dribar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mush have gotten lucky -- not a single problem with my gear. I love my mini @ 185 flights. It's really been a no-brainer jet for me and highly recommended.

I did the magnet maneuver and learned that the problem wasn't my brakes... it was my landings. Fix the landing and the brakes are less of an issue. Not being a smart *** here... just reality for my situation. When I started, I was always coming in hot and needing a lot of brakes. After 15-20 landings, I started taking up a lot less runway and not needing so much. The issue kind of went away....
Old 11-22-2019, 11:55 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If the brakes are weak, then things most-likely are not adjusted correctly. They typically lock up around 50-60% as indicated by the LED strings. For a mini, they even lock up sooner because the plane is a lot lighter than the larger T-1s. My student's Mini locked up very quickly. But he did not have an LGC 15. So I can't tell you where that one locked up its brakes. But, if you are seeing all LEDs lite and the brakes are not locking up something may be installed incorrectly or, your battery voltage is not getting to the electro magnets due to poor connections, being to low, etc. If you are not seeing all the LEDs in the strings light, then the Travel Adjust in the transmitter may be set too low. You should see all LEDs in the two strings lit at 100% travel adjust. If you are seeing that and the brakes are still "weak" then you do not have the LGC programmed correctly. If everything is programmed correctly, they will lock up. Then you can adjusts them with the LGC or the Travel Adjust to still brake just short of locking up. I have mine on a slider. I just push the slider forward all the way and both planes come to a complete straight stop w/o any skidding or dancing, etc.

It takes a lot of playing around on the bench to figure out the programming. Trying to do it all at the field is a PITA. But once you get the LGC and Transmitter set right, the brakes work well. Also, once you get one set correctly, use the SD card and transfer the program to other planes with the LGC. I have found what works in one plane is a great starting place for another plane. Just have to work out the door sequencing, if applicable.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
If the brakes are weak, then things most-likely are not adjusted correctly. They typically lock up around 50-60% as indicated by the LED strings. For a mini, they even lock up sooner because the plane is a lot lighter than the larger T-1s. My student's Mini locked up very quickly. But he did not have an LGC 15. So I can't tell you where that one locked up its brakes. But, if you are seeing all LEDs lite and the brakes are not locking up something may be installed incorrectly or, your battery voltage is not getting to the electro magnets due to poor connections, being to low, etc. If you are not seeing all the LEDs in the strings light, then the Travel Adjust in the transmitter may be set too low. You should see all LEDs in the two strings lit at 100% travel adjust. If you are seeing that and the brakes are still "weak" then you do not have the LGC programmed correctly. If everything is programmed correctly, they will lock up. Then you can adjusts them with the LGC or the Travel Adjust to still brake just short of locking up. I have mine on a slider. I just push the slider forward all the way and both planes come to a complete straight stop w/o any skidding or dancing, etc.

It takes a lot of playing around on the bench to figure out the programming. Trying to do it all at the field is a PITA. But once you get the LGC and Transmitter set right, the brakes work well. Also, once you get one set correctly, use the SD card and transfer the program to other planes with the LGC. I have found what works in one plane is a great starting place for another plane. Just have to work out the door sequencing, if applicable.
If you use the SD card to transfer the LG-15 programming also make sure the steering direction, and the gyro direction are set correctly, especially if you use different servos or different radio.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by dribar
I mush have gotten lucky -- not a single problem with my gear. I love my mini @ 185 flights. It's really been a no-brainer jet for me and highly recommended.

I did the magnet maneuver and learned that the problem wasn't my brakes... it was my landings. Fix the landing and the brakes are less of an issue. Not being a smart *** here... just reality for my situation. When I started, I was always coming in hot and needing a lot of brakes. After 15-20 landings, I started taking up a lot less runway and not needing so much. The issue kind of went away....
Wow, 185 flights! You must be getting close to a 25 hr inspection on your K85
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM
dribar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Wow, 185 flights! You must be getting close to a 25 hr inspection on your K85
Waitttttttttt a minute -- it's 85, not 185. Sorry......
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm excited to become a member of the T-1 Mini owners group. Dirk at PCRJ had a standard purple one ready to go last week so I jumped at the chance. I have been following this forum and have read all 50 pages. I ordered the PNP with Savox servos and light kit. No smoke. New K-85G2. This will be "almost" my first jet. I currently have a MB-339 from Adrenalin RC with a K-120G2. I have seven solo flights on it but I'm now grounded due to winter here in Calgary, Canada. I have quite enjoyed the new experience of turbine jets starting with the MB-339. It flies like a trainer. I am an experienced competitive pylon racer so speed is not intimidating for me. All this turbine stuff, however, is very new and an exciting challenge. At home, I fly off a grass field and we are at 3,300 ft ASL. The grass is certainly not manicured, so I chose the K-85 for the T-1 Mini to get it airborne with authority.

I'm spending three months in Surprise, AZ beginning Jan 1 - March 31. The MB-339 and the T-1 Mini will be flown down there. I have had all the T-1 Mini gear shipped to a friend in AZ. Will begin the assembly when I jet there Jan 1. All of your tips on this forum have been very helpful, especially the CofG discussion, JP landing gear and brakes, Xicoy brake controller, etc. BTW, I have the JP retracts in my MB-339 and I found all the same issues with the poor braking performance. I removed the magnets and it has been an improvement. Looking forward to using the Xicoy controller in the new T-1 Mini. It's great that PRCJ have now included it as part of the stock PNP package. Love the Kingtech turbine. So easy to start and run. I have had trouble with a "sticky" fuel pump. It would try to start and then fail. Had this happen a number of times on the new 120. I've had to increase the pump start value in the GSU settings. That seems to have helped for now. Keep all the tips coming. I need all the help I can get....

Randy Smith, Calgary, AB Canada

Last edited by Randy Smith; 12-07-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Randy Smith

Question for this group:
For those of you using a Powerbox Mercury SRS with iGyro and gear sequencer. Are you using the PB Mercury gear and door sequencer in your T-1 Mini or are you using the JP retract controller to accomplish the door and gear tasks?
I am using the JP controller in my MB-339 and I find configuring and setting it up somewhat tedious. I think the PB Mercury would likely do a better job and would be accomplished easier.

For the iGyro, would it be helpful to start with gyro settings obtained from someone here who is also using a K85 for power, or should I just start from scratch using the Mercury Test Flight assistant?

Thanks,

R

Last edited by Randy Smith; 12-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Dansy

never Mind...I taught you were saying for the gear and brakes......sequencer will work fine for the door....

Last edited by Dansy; 12-07-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Tip22v

I’m using the Mercury SRS in one of my Minis, but I’m using a Xicoy LG-15 retract/brake controller rather than the JP controller. I use the LG 15 to sequence the nose gear door, not the Mercury SRS.

I would definitely recommend using the test flight assistant to get your Mercury SRS configured, using someone else’s settings could be different depending on how you have your servo arms setup, the brand of servo etc. -Tom
Old 12-08-2019, 01:45 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered my standard T-1 on Oct 11 and I just got an update from Dirk. He said the airframe is built but there's a pretty big back log in the paint shop. He said the factory is quite motivated to ship product prior to CNE as they get paid when the product ships. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of what he wrote..

Fingers crossed as I'm not the fastest builder and I would like to have her ready as soon as it warms up in the early part of spring
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Randy Smith

Thanks guys. It dawned on me that the Xicoy LG-15 also implements the brake gyro functions so it would make sense to use the Xicoy for controlling the door, gear and brakes rather than the Mercury box. Agreed, using a flight gyro setup from someone else could be a problem as the servo particulars may not be the same. I hadn't thought of that.
flyloose: The factory had a standard purple one ready to go without a buyer I guess, or maybe a cancelled order. I had no choice of color but Dirk said it was available. My first choice was the standard red/white one but, like you, Dirk said it would be about three months wait. I jumped at the chance to take the purple one. I have the tracking information and it's on it way from China now.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dirk told me about ten days ago they took mine to a different territory to try and get it shipped. I wouldn't be surprised if and when this thing finally shows up it's in pieces with all the back and forth this package has experienced. Twenty two weeks and counting.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the Mercury PBox and the Xicoy LGC15 installed in my larger T-1. I use the Mercury gyro on the three flight control surfaces and the LGC 15 operates the gear, brakes, nose door and steering. Works just fine. I have not seen any conflict with two gyros working on the steering, even with the Rudder and Steering channels mixed.

For a mini, I would probably not use a PBox. There is not a lot of room and the lighter you keep the plane the better. If it was mine, I would also opt for the lightest turbine that would still fly it. When we were working with one brought to us this past summer, I kind of thought maybe something smaller than an 85 would work better. Maybe a 60?? But I have not seen one with a smaller engine, either. From my experiences with one this past summer, this is just something I would be considering if I built a new one of my own.

The mini with any turbine systems in it has relatively high wing loading. When building it, I would pay particular attention to keeping it light. But, one place to add some weight is to beef up the gear mounts. Also pay particular attention to the CG. The plane is relatively unforgiving when the CG is off by much either way. Just my opinion after flying one a couple times, surviving 3 snaps and struggling for hours trying to get one lightened up and dialed in.

Also, ... In my opinion, it is NOT a trainer, by any means, no matter what anyone tells you. There are a lot of other jets out there that are much easier to fly, see and land, especially for a rookie!
Old 12-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Randy Smith

Len, Thanks for your insights. Valuable for sure. I am using JR XBus-A protocol. I assume the Mercury is installed upstream of the LCG-15. Then patch cords go from the individual retract, brake, and Rudder-B (nose wheel) output ports of the Mercury to the LCG-15? Can you confirm? Are you applying Mercury iGyro gain to the Rudder-B (nose wheel) or are you letting only the LCG-15 control the nose wheel gyro function? Thanks.

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.