Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fleet Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the jumbled arrangement.

Ray W
Old 08-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Chrisvn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... thank you Ray ... that is the way I am going to go. I appreciate your efforts with the pics .... pic worth 1000 words.... !

... as mentioned earlier the in the discussion the hardwood for the rigging attachment points on the empennage and rudder post is also important.

Bob will you please add me to the list ....?

Thanks Chris
Old 08-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Kinner

Of interest, I built my 1/4 scale Fleet with landing and flying wires to be somewhat functional. Field build up and take down took so long at times, I ran out of motivation to even fly..amost.
With the rebuild, I left off the rigging but left all the hard wood (maple) mounting points within the wings. Since the first attempt to maiden, I 've semed to lose interest as many of our flying fields are over 50 miles away..one way.

I built a 1/3 scale where the flying and lading wires are needed to be functional. Now, if one wishes to buy it as it is just too big for my aging fingers.

Ray W.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:13 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Where are you located? This looks like a pick up because of its size.
Sparky
Old 08-27-2018, 05:34 AM
Kinner

Summerville, South Carolina. Yea, it's big. 4 wings, long fuse but the horizontal stab is detachable. SuperShrink coverite with Nitrate and Butyrate color.

Yet to check CG and repower with something bigger than OS300 Twin.

Ray.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can add me to the list. I have the 1/6 scale Concept Fleet Barnstormer kit that I bought at a club flea market. The plans are dark yellow, mouse chewed and almost illegible. I bought a Cobra brushless motor, speed control, Wms Bros cylinders, and metal geared servos and all bagged accessory items. Started on the fuselage and cut out all unnecessary lite ply, collected detail photos , then other model projects, model flying and life butted in. I am starting a build of the Pat Tritle/Brodak 60" wsp DC-3 in AA Flagship Detroit livery from Kelly Graphics. The Barnstormer Model 2 (?) is next in line for completion. Yellowed plans and instruction pamphlet are a little too concise and not easy to follow. I am a fan of biplanes and golden age designs in general I am flying a Dynam WACO (wahko) and a Park Zone Stinson Reliant SR-10. My over-detailed Pat Tritle 59" wsp Pepsi Reliant has SR-7 kit bash has become mostly a wall rack queen.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

hello chris, althepal here.

the next time you get your plans out, can you tell me where the CG is supposed to be. I'm going with the os fs300 and it is quite a bit heavier than the quadra 35 that I flew once before. I knew I should have checked it before I pulled the engine.
thanks a lot, Althepal fleet brotherhood #32
Old 10-16-2018, 04:06 PM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

kooks like 6.25 to 7.25 from leading edge of top wing

hope that helps

Scott
Old 10-17-2018, 05:04 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (31)

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Joey B
My Feedback: (4)

Default Concept Fleet biplane kit

I have a kit for sale if anyone is interested I have it listed on rc universe
Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fleet Finch

I also really like those old Fleet biplanes!
Here’s my Fleet.
Scratch built from a British plan, spans 67” and uses a .91FS.
Great flyer.
I also have a Concept Fleet kit on its way to me, should arrive in a few days. Looking forward to building this one!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Nice job on the dummy cylinder jugs. Good looking aircraft.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Originally Posted by Kinner
16B Finch mod. RCAF wanted additional fin and rudder as the plane was difficult to pull out of a spin. Added also, was an additional landing wire.

My new rudder and fin:

Ray W.
Hello all,

Getting ready to strip down and recover my 1/4 scale Fleet and would like to rework the rudder and fin to that like Ray did for his. Is there any blue prints or drawings of the mod? Thanks for any help on this.

Dan
Old 01-06-2024, 06:38 AM
RSC50

Default Fleet restoration project

Hello guys.
I just bought a long time wanted Fleet Biplane. I wanted a kit, but couldn't find one, so i got this built one in Facebook Marketplace. The plane will definitely need a deep restoration job to make it airworthy and to make it scale detailed. I'll need all the help you can give me and I'll appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:36 AM
Kinner

Congrats on finding one. Some suspect points to give a good eye to is the fwd and aft landing gear mount blocks. With oil and hard landings, they may need new oak. Secondly, all the wing spars are built up as in the real planes of the days. Check the glue joints well. I'm a bit old fashion and would consider using a fabric for recovering. Mine sits collecting dust but the heart is still involved.

Ray W.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:27 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RSC50
Hello guys.
I just bought a long time wanted Fleet Biplane. I wanted a kit, but couldn't find one, so i got this built one in Facebook Marketplace. The plane will definitely need a deep restoration job to make it airworthy and to make it scale detailed. I'll need all the help you can give me and I'll appreciate it. Thank you very much.

My original Fleet was built with one wing upside down, not by me. I corrected the original builder's mistake and it seemed to fly the same. So much for that error. Make sure your incidence numbers are correct pertaining to the horizontal stabilizer and main wings. I still have one built from plans with a five cylinder engine up front. As in Ray's case, it's gathering dust.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:51 PM
E-Challenged

Your recent post re-activated my interest in going back to work on my electric powered "Barnstormer" model. Still have dusty fuselage frame with excessive lightply cut out. Gotta hunt up all motor, esc, Wms Bros radial parts to build the Kinner dummy, etc. The Fleet bipes had a distinctive look and models on You Tube look like good gentle flyers.