Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fleet Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
HOT COALS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fleet Brotherhood

I am going to take photos in contuction steps . How I put my fleets together.  I can't complain they will be around for long time.  What I will need is some one address.  to post my photos.  HANK #20.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM
HOT COALS

If you want to stop the see thrue the fusage, spay a light coat of silver, then paint.   HANK # 20.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: HOT COALS

Good photos Dave, I used the same stuff on my stinson sr 9. Which is still incontuction stage for the moment. I used 7mm which is very thin. . Which also can be used on leadining edgers . Home depot sells rubber wasers, that I use for motor vibration. HANK # 20.
Hank, you probably are referring to .7mm not 7mm which is slightly more than 1/4 inch. .7mm is about .02 of an inch.

You also mentioned rubber washers for their use in mounting engines. On the Saito forum, they absolutely subscribe to the idea of mounting their engines to a solid mount to prevent the engine from jumping around. I only use solid mounts on mine, but I do not have any gas engines in use. Mostly four-stroke glow power my aircraft.

Bob
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
HOT COALS

Thank's  BOB. for the info. that's what I ment. Working in my shop day & night left me exhusted when I posted. I will remmember the decimal point next time. Thank's  HANK # 20.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM
dabrown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the thickness, but 0.5 mm might be about right. Can be cut with scissors but seems strong enough to ward off most dents, hopefully.

Dave
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
dabrown

ORIGINAL: HOT COALS

If you want to stop the see thrue the fusage, spay a light coat of silver, then paint. HANK # 20.
Good idea. I may do that since I don't like the see thru especially with painted/doped fabric.

Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM
dabrown

Did some more sheet metal work this weekend. Drilled the holes for the cockpit coaming too and I think I placed them too far from the edge. But that's where they will have to stay...

And that's all I plan to do as far as the sheet metal work. I think I'm ready to start painting. Need to order some silver though. And the weather needs to get warmer. Guess I can work on the wind screens too until it warms up. Will be doing the fiberglass/G-10 method.

I did a test of dope on the aluminum. Without any prep or sanding I can easily scrape the dope off with my finger nail. After sanding with 220 sandpaper, it passes the finger nail test with no problem. So hopefully, that will work.

BTW, I measured the aluminum and it's 0.25mm, 0.01 in thick.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47483.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1850801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28196.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1850802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29376.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1850803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95698.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1850804  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM
bandit357

NICE work brown, i love the look of the aluminum, i wish mine was done that way.. who knows, maybe some day i will recover mine.. any way i took her out this week end, had some good flights, i am getting used to flying her..

Name:	Sq46003.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1851060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34551.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1851061  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
dabrown

ORIGINAL: bandit357

NICE work brown, i love the look of the aluminum, i wish mine was done that way.. who knows, maybe some day i will recover mine.. any way i took her out this week end, had some good flights, i am getting used to flying her..
I think yours is a beauty just like it is!

Have you been to the Santa Maria Museum of Flight? I believe they have a Fleet on display but their website isn't much help. My dad went through basic flight training in PT-17s there in 1942/43. It was called Hancock Field then I believe.

Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
bandit357

yes Dave, you are right, there is a Fleet Biplane at the SM museum, i looked it over the other day, and noted some details, i then added the pitot tubes on the left strut. also that one was from Hancock field, so it had the larger rudder, and wrap around exhaust, complete with heat.. the guys really did a good restoration job on her.

by the way, look at my landing gear... almost true scale.. even has a shock inside, and it really works.. i wish i could take credit for the work, however, i was lucky enough to buy the plane complete, i just get to have fun flying it ( i did however add the flying wires, and yes i know, i added an extra wire from the leading N strut top wing to the fuse just behind the engine.. i wanted to make sure the wings would stay on)

i work too much, so my building time is very limited, so i search and search for old distressed giants looking for a new home.. i really love to rebuild them..

Name:	Db85006.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1851238  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some nice plane there Bandit .

A friend who owns and flies his own full size 16 B Finch turned me on to a great book on the history of Rubin Fleet and his creations.

"Fleet The Flying Years" is worth pursuing. Great pix and many in color. ISBN 1-55046-019-6. I got mine used through Amazon and found some interesting personal notes and signatures of those who built the birds.

Ray W.

Name:	Ki20335.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1851245  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
HOT COALS

RAY, where can I get a copy?. WHo is the publishing company ?. THANK'S  HANK # 20
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Kinner

I got mine through Amazon but with that ISBN number, you could maybe go through any major book store.

Writtn by Ron Page and Wm. Cumming. Boston Mills Press in Erin, Ontario, Canada.

Hope this helps.

Ray W.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
smkrcflyer

Amazon has one for $24.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Flying-Y.../dp/1550460196
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
HOT COALS

THANK'S GUY'S FOR THE INFO. ILL CK. BARNES & NOBLE, SEE IF THEY HAVE IT.   HANK # 20
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM
Kinner

Wow! $210 for a new one. Some pix from my application of the book to get a proper fin/rudder mod.

Ray W

Name:	Zw69790.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1851568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96163.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1851569  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 AM
dabrown

ORIGINAL: bandit357

yes Dave, you are right, there is a Fleet Biplane at the SM museum, i looked it over the other day, and noted some details, i then added the pitot tubes on the left strut. also that one was from Hancock field, so it had the larger rudder, and wrap around exhaust, complete with heat.. the guys really did a good restoration job on her.

by the way, look at my landing gear... almost true scale.. even has a shock inside, and it really works.. i wish i could take credit for the work, however, i was lucky enough to buy the plane complete, i just get to have fun flying it ( i did however add the flying wires, and yes i know, i added an extra wire from the leading N strut top wing to the fuse just behind the engine.. i wanted to make sure the wings would stay on)

i work too much, so my building time is very limited, so i search and search for old distressed giants looking for a new home.. i really love to rebuild them..
Your pitot tubes look great. I don't think anybody will care about the extra flying wires. There probably is a Fleet with such a mod, or could be. One thing I notice is that every Fleet I look at is different!

I found this photo of the Fleet which must be the one you saw. It does look great. Wonder if it flies.

Dave

Name:	Bz78483.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1851586  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Hi guys. I picked up an old Concept Fleet yesterday, that is in need of a restoration. One of the issues are the cylinder heads that stick out of the cowl. Two of them are damaged. They look an awful lot like a Saito 4-stroke engine head. Any ideas where I might find replacements?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM
retransit

Scott, you might try these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWAF6&P=7

Bob
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
dabrown

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

Hi guys. I picked up an old Concept Fleet yesterday, that is in need of a restoration. One of the issues are the cylinder heads that stick out of the cowl. Two of them are damaged. They look an awful lot like a Saito 4-stroke engine head. Any ideas where I might find replacements?
Congratulations! Is it 1/4 scale or 1/6?

The kit includes plans for a wood version of the engine cylinders. Are yours wood or plastic? Check out Williams Bros. I'm using the Wright J5 cylinders.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/j5.jpg

Not an exact match for the Kinner engine, but close.

Did it come with an engine?

Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
ScottMcM

It is the 84" ws. The cowl is wooden, but I believe the jugs are plastic. It is an old build. The pilot had a leather cover on his head, and it is peeling away. Looks as if it has been sitting for a while. It has a Zenoah G38 on the nose. I am pretty excited about picking it up. I believe it is a diamond in the rough. I'll try and post some pics later.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
ScottMcM

ORIGINAL: dabrown

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

Congratulations! Is it 1/4 scale or 1/6?

The kit includes plans for a wood version of the engine cylinders. Are yours wood or plastic? Check out Williams Bros. I'm using the Wright J5 cylinders.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/j5.jpg

Not an exact match for the Kinner engine, but close.

Did it come with an engine?

Dave
I believe the Williams Bros. J5 cylinders will work just fine....thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Kinner

Great time was had by me at the Golden Hawks flyin last week.   Weather cooperated for the Friday as we had to leave Saturday in the freezing cold to return to SC.

I got to meet Bob (retransit) and see his beauty fly abouts.  I was green with envy as my Fleet still lay in the trailer covered with cotton field dirt.

Good eats at Babe's in Deland (BBQ) but don't drink the water in Deland.  Bring your own,

Late Friday we went to the Deland Naval Air Station Museum to see a resurection in progress of a ditched TBF that was rescued off the floor of Lake Michigan.  Neat to see and we'll go back. 

Best of all, I got to spend hours with my daughter's family and the squeeze my latest grandchild.

Other activities was to meet Andy Bowen and get the official nod to be an Asst Director for Distric V of IMAA.  I'll cover all I can but mostly South Carlolina and abouts.   We'll need to get IMAA active again as it was some 10 or so years past.

Thanks to retransit for the hospitality and introducing me to some of the Golden Hawks. 

Ray W.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
retransit

I know this is off-topic, but since my Fleet is up and running I just wanted to show you guys my next project. It will be a scratch-built Boeing Model 40C. Since it is scratch-built, I have to draw the one-fifth scale plans, because as far as I know, there are none available. I've never drawn plans before, so this is something new for me. Maybe a better name for them is construction drawings. although I will endeavor to include as much detail and and accuracy as possible with my limited high school (yeah, I attended) drafting knowledge. The wing span will be approximately 106.5 inches and I'm guessing around 32 lbs.

An Evolution nine cylinder, 99cc radial engine will be used for power. I was told the fuel mixture flows over the bearings, not from just piston blow-by like most 4 cycle engines do. Also the master rod is on roller bearings which require little oil. That is the reason for the low oil content required and it will run on zero nitro fuel, although I'll probably use 5% nitro and 7% synthetic oil which will keep the slime to a minimum.

I overlayed a drawing of the EVO on what I have done so far on my plans. See pics below. I will be documenting the build in another thread at a later date, providing what pictures I have.

Bob

Name:	Rp42716.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1855031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84860.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1855032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52603.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1855033  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Kinner

Old timers I knew had access to an overhead projector. By golly, the thing looked like a big black bazooka or mortar.

Used to display a page of a book on the wall. That would be the ticket for your project Bob. Projected onto a large piece of paper on the wall. The outline would be quite scale until the outer edges then fill in the details of ribs and formers later.

...now, I suspect you could go to a blueprinter and have the same blown up. My blueprinter did for a while then got shyed when someone told him of copyright stuff. I don't know if there was anything to it but hey...

By the by, when your done, I'll purchase a set of plans.

By the way, does this plane look familiar? I'll give a hint, it is nearly in your backyard.

Ray W.

Name:	Ec89241.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1855036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31749.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1855037  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.