Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Fms f3a olympus !

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pattern_is_Fun
After flying the Olympus for about 15 flights over weeks due to weather related conditions (I would have liked to fly it every day for a week to get use to it!) I decided to build another plane to compare the two. It's the same size and using the same Motor and ESC as the Olympus; it's an Angel Shadow. It actually has more wing area and is a bit larger, but the same "class" as the Olympus. We have snow coming in the next days but I'll report back as to how it fly's in comparison to the Olympus. I made a few mods for improved elevator tracking. The planes weigh the same, within an ounce. Using a 16x10 it's pulling 56-58A at 1050-1080W. Should be fine. This motor is much less weight than the Hacker recommended motor - so we'll see how it holds up.

Pattern Is Fun, where did you purchase your Angel Shadow?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 AM

This is a Sebart Angel - got it from;

SebArt RC USA
7770 Duneville Street
Las Vegas, NV 89139, USA
Phone: (702) 724-0555
Email: [email protected]

best deal I've seen, something close to $258 + shipping - to your door under $300... and you could not build it for that - not to mention covering!...
Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM

SebArt RC USA
7770 Duneville Street
Las Vegas, NV 89139, USA

best deal I've seen, something close to $258 + shipping - to your door under $300... and you could not build it for that - not to mention covering!...

Thanks Pattern Is Fun, much appreciated.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 AM

I was prepared to maiden the Olympus today, but alas, too windy. Shooting for next weekend. I'm guessing he's had his Angel's Shadow for years. I couldn't find one for sale anywhere.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Swaggerjacker
I was prepared to maiden the Olympus today, but alas, too windy. Shooting for next weekend. I'm guessing he's had his Angel's Shadow for years. I couldn't find one for sale anywhere.
Thanks Swaggerjacker. I won't be surprised then if no one has it.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:48 PM

You're welcome. That Angel sure looks the part. Very nice.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:30 PM

Unclear if you are talking about my info above but if so, I got my Angel less than a month ago. Another Angel was sold the same day as I was considering getting the Mytho S (which was being held for another but he decided to get the Angel) and when I compared price I decided on the Angel too. I suggest calling to see if some are still in stock; I would think they are but I have no way of knowing.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:14 PM

Ah, I checked Chief aircraft. Nada. Sebart's site does have them.

Thanks

Last edited by Swaggerjacker; 01-31-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 AM

Hey,

I took mine for another ride this weekend. We had nice weather so I brought her up after setting the CG back further to see if this solves the elev. trim issue ... no way! It was nice and calm on the ground but above 15-20 meters it was realy gusty! No chance to fly the Olympus the way I was used to at the last flights. At full throttle she flies OK but not realy straight, I had a lot of work to keep her on track. I went up for a turn which endet in a loop becuase the wind pushed her over :-(

I took her down low for approach, was OK there but on final approach (5-10 Meters over ground) with almost no throttle the wind flipped her almost 180° over. I could get her back on track finaly to give it another try and land her safe.

I had 2 flights that day but it was no fun at all! The Wind did'nt felt that strong so I don't know if it's the Olympus that's not good at windy conditions or if the wind was stronger than I thought ... When I packed my stuff together I noticed that the right gear was bent. I can't remember any hard Landing but it must be a realy bad one because when I lokked closer I saw that the blue "cover" has cut a hole/slot into the fuselage... I fixed that the same day one the workbench so I took her for another try the next day.

Weather was'nt that nice (no Sun and colder) in the beginning but no wind. The Olympus performed well now but still need up trim. On the other side there are no stability issues at all with my CG, I sailed her inverted without stall or even wriggling ...

LG
Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 AM

I planned on a maiden yesterday, but the wind picked up sooner than was forecast. Three hours sooner. So, I still have my Olympus and Arcus Bipe to maiden. Good job getting your plane back to terra firma safely.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:27 AM

Hi,

just stay patient, flying the Olympus on a calm day is a pleassure so it's worth waiting! What CG are you planning for the maiden flight? Everything between 175 and 190 mm seems to be OK even for the first time! If that's not your first Plane you shoul not worry at all just keep in mind that she'll come in slightly faster as a typical Trainer because of her higher wing load but you can slow her by slightly pulling up. The landing gear is "ok" for asphalt or short green but if you plan to land on a rugh green it'll be better to remove the wheel covers and put some bigger (sponge rubber) wheels on, about 80 mm would do great job.

greets
Old 02-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Call the Las Vegas number can ask. Think they open at 11am.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 AM

I'm looking closely at mine now - just got the kit yesterday. I would say my fin is not straight with the fuselage - looking from the front, it's leans a bit to the right. I have not determined what the cause of this is yet but I'm trying a few things to fix it. I can't tell if your fin is not aligned with the rest of the fuse, or the stab is where the problem is. How was your new fuselage? Much better or similar? I need to assemble my stab and wing to check the alignment. Hope to do this soon.
Pattern_Is_Fun, my replacement fuselage is straight and it corrected all the alignment issues that I noted in my earlier post.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:48 AM

My CG is at 185. I've flown on and off for about 9 years. I keep coming back to the hobby. Having a brother that flies keeps me in the loop until I can't ignore the itch! I'm looking forward to the Olympus. I've flown a lot of different planes, but never one with a canalyzer (SP?). I've read the rudder is very sensitive.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:27 AM

My replacement fuse was great too. My CG is about 185mm also, but have not determined the exact placement yet - have not had enough days in a row to determine this.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 PM

SebArt RC USA
7770 Duneville Street
Las Vegas, NV 89139, USA

The p!ane cost is now $369 + $40 shipping. I think I will wait for a sale.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:14 AM

I may get another one too (when on sale again), the one I have now, with about 20 flights is flying very well. I have a motor and esc that's sitting in an Olympus that work well in the Angel.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 AM

Wow! Very twitchy plane. I'm really going to have to dial down the throws. The elevator and rudder are very sensitive. Also, I haven't flown for a long time. That definitely doesn't help. My 5S 5000's have to go all the way to the back. I think I'm going to fly it with 6S for stability and better CG.

Steve
Old 07-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Default FMS olympus

Originally Posted by Anthony-RCU
Still playing with CG on mine started at the 150 mm in the manual and it isn't too far off. The nose does wander when too far back.
Didn't even look at the rates in the manual and started with usual pattern plane rates.
Low rates - Ailerons 12, elevator 8 rudder 20 degrees
Snap - Ailerons 20, elevator 12, rudder 25 degrees
spin - Ailerons 15, Elevator 20, rudder 35 degrees.

That will get you pretty close.Flying it very soft and I like it. KE is very good and low rate rudder works for everything except stalls. Using a 15x10 prop on 5 cells and may try a 16x10 on a warmer day. Turned the brake on and don't think I like it. Seems to not do much in down lines and make for a terrible transition back to power. Somehow it manages to stop the prop on final causing lots of sink. May give up on the brake or switch to a better esc.

Hi Anthony I am having a little trouble with my CG I think. It flys but feels tail heavy. I thought i balanced it correctly but maybe i am overlooking something. I have a 6s 5000 pack and balanced it 150mm from the leading edge with the plane inverted. Also I do see there is a slight twist in the fuselage that others have mentioned and that seems to make the plane pull slightly to the right on uplines. I think i can live with or try to trim out. I don't fly competitive but any thoughts on the CG.

Mark S.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Mark,

Please explain why it feels tail heavy. For me when it is when a plane starts to wander out of turn-arounds or feels unstable. CG can be a personal thing but make sure you test a few options. I usually shoot for a plane to slowly drift down on an inverted 45 degree up line. If the nose points to the outside of a turn that also may be too much but depends on the plane. The Olympus is a great value but does have some short comings due to the nature of the materials. Mine always drifted a lot in the wind and trim always felt like it would change. Some have tried to stiffen or reinforce but I wound up selling mine since I have another 70 size plane.
If you are near HVRC come over and fly with us. We have a couple of pattern guys in the club.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Default FMS Olympus

Anthony this is Mark that bought your plane. The tail felt to be dragging along instead of flying up on step. I have a 6s 5000 mah pack in it. It was breezy the day I flew it. I might try to rebalance it so it is a little more nose heavy until I become more familiar with it. I have access to an EZ balancer and was doing the balancing from an inverted position since it is low wing. I will keep you posted on how goes.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 PM

Default Fms Olympus

Hi Anthony,
This is Mark with a follow up on the Olympus I got from you. I must have not balanced it correctly the first time but it feels good now. I used the EZ balancer lite, the plane inverted and set it up with CG 150mm. I flew it 4 times today and it was a little bit breezy but it flew very well. Getting almost 9min out of the Roaring Top 6s 5000mah pack and it still shows 25% left in it. Next I will get my throws dialed in.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,
Are you still using the stock FMS servos and 15x8 prop?
Thanks,
Garyss
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Prop and servos

Gary the servos are stock but the hardware has been upgraded to carbon fiber thats how it was when I bought it. It's flying with a 16 x 10 prop.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mark. WOW, so is it the stock motor and ESC with that prop? Is the 16 x 10 used with a 5 cell battery?

Mine mysteriously crashed a year ago, but it was so impressive I will probably give it another go with a different radio.

Last edited by GarySS; 08-14-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.