Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Growth: Whose responsiblity is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner

But from where I sit, not enough of this is being done.
Why are you sitting waiting for others to do? What are you doing??????
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On further thought, I take back my question. It shouldn't be "WHAT has the AMA done for it's members to deserve some kind of special treatment?"

But rather "What have the members and clubs done to deserve some kind of special treatment?" After all, these are the parts the public sees most.
Actually, the question should be, "What is the AMA doing to deserve special treatment?"

Astro
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Well, here's a couple for starters...

FACT: after 80 years of being the premier organization for model aviation, The AMA SHOULD be a shoe-in for CBO status, yet they are not.
FACT: AMA members do not enjoy a single benefit or exemption from the FAA rules than non-members.

Astro

Fact, the AMA is currently in negotiations with the AMA concerning exceptions for membership or as I call them “ paid customers “. Is there any other modeling group in talks with the FAA for exceptions?

The FAA has stated that we are to fly in accordance to CBO safety guidelines “ like the AMA “. That to most would be confirmation that the FAA recognizes the AMA as a CBO.

Since this thread has degraded to finger pointing and beating the dead horse rather then suggestions on how to support our hobby, this is where I depart.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, let me tell you all that I've seen NOT WORK:
  • Mall shows........The big shopping malls are becoming dinosaurs that are slowly dying off. When you look at the people who tend to go to the malls, it's normally the under 30 crowd. Most of these are into tech and instant gratification but are normally unable to afford to buy anything due to school loans and other "priorities". Most go to the mall to "hang out" with friends and window shop or see what everyone else is wearing. A table covered with "toys" is just something else to "window shop" as they walk by
  • Meet & Greets.......These only work when you have the present members actually welcome visitors and show interest in said visitors. Once the members start break down into their own little "clicks", everything that might have been gained is gone, including possible new members
  • Demonstrations.....These are a losing proposition from word go. People will come and watch, with the usual "WOW, THAT'S COOL!!!!" or similar reaction, but if you try to get someone to actually try the activity, they are gone faster than Speedy Gonzales. I've seen this happen in many hobby activities from R/C to dance. People will watch but don't ask them to try. People don't want to be seen failing. One wrong dance step or control input and that person is too embarrassed to try again and will be gone as fast as possible to prevent the possibility of having to try again.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-20-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Fact, the AMA is currently in negotiations with the AMA concerning exceptions for membership or as I call them “ paid customers “. Is there any other modeling group in talks with the FAA for exceptions?
And what have they actually been granted? Had the AMA been viewed as a trusted and relevant partner, the exemptions previously granted (336) should have never been rescinded. Time will tell if the AMA can successfully negotiate and carve out some exemptions. I sincerely hope that they do, just not holding my breath.

The FAA has stated that we are to fly in accordance to CBO safety guidelines “ like the AMA “. That to most would be confirmation that the FAA recognizes the AMA as a CBO.
Except for the FACT that when asked directly, the FAA said that they have not officially proclaimed ANY official CBO's...…..I do not care what "most" would confirm as FAA recognition, it only matters that the FAA has NOT. Remember, I asked for FACTS. Seems you simply cannot differentiate facts from fiction.

Since this thread has degraded to finger pointing and beating the dead horse rather then suggestions on how to support our hobby, this is where I depart.
Since you seem incapable of differentiating fact from fiction and of having a debate without having your feelings hurt, it is probably best that you do. Bye bye.

Regards,

Astro

Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
speedracerntrixie

I’m going to blame it on the time I have been spending up north but it’s my turn to agree with you. The only real events I have found to work at all are club open houses and demonstrations at full scale air shows. That being said, we will usually gain only two or three new members per event.

That is why why when we do see somone with that spark we need to cultivate it into a flame. That was the main intent of giving that pattern airplane to that young man earlier this year. When I am settled in the new location I have a few more airplanes that will be donated to some worthy members of my new club. Like I said before, it’s what I am able to do right now.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
  • Mall shows........The big shopping malls are becoming dinosaurs that are slowly dying off. When you look at the people who tend to go to the malls, it's normally the under 30 crowd. Most of these are into tech and instant gratification but are normally unable to afford to buy anything due to school loans and other "priorities". Most go to the mall to "hang out" with friends and window shop or see what everyone else is wearing. A table covered with "toys" is just something else to "window shop" as they walk by
  • Meet & Greets.......These only work when you have the present members actually welcome visitors and show interest in said visitors. Once the members start break down into their own little "clicks", everything that might have been gained is gone, including possible new members
  • Demonstrations.....These are a losing proposition from word go. People will come and watch, with the usual "WOW, THAT'S COOL!!!!" or similar reaction, but if you try to get someone to actually try the activity, they are gone faster than Speedy Gonzales. I've seen this happen in many hobby activities from R/C to dance. People will watch but don't ask them to try. People don't want to be seen failing. One wrong dance step or control input and that person is too embarrassed to try again and will be gone as fast as they to prevent the possibility of having to try again.
How Long Until I’m Solo

How long does it take to learn? This one is very hard to answer because we all learn at different rates but based on our experience the quickest people have been in around 22 hours. This is what one club said.

Another club claimed that it should take at least 50 15 minute lessons to start before you can solo. This might have something to do with a difficulty to recruit and keep new members.

Also:
The plane is too small, too fast and it sounds a bit windy. There isn't much communication. "You got it...I got it".

Last edited by fliers1; 03-20-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by fliers1
How Long Until I’m Solo

How long does it take to learn? This one is very hard to answer because we all learn at different rates but based on our experience the quickest people have been in around 22 hours. This is what one club said.

Another club claimed that it should take at least 50 15 minute lessons to start before you can solo. This might have something to do with a difficulty to recruit and keep new members.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfsV_oualnE The plane is too small, too fast and it sounds a bit windy. There isn't much communication. "You got it...I got it".
The "how long" question is something I routinely hear when I talk about my other hobby, that being a Square and Round Dancer. When you tell someone that they need to commit 15 to 20 weeks for a once a week class, just for square, it's amazing how many come up with an excuse as to why they can't as they don't want to tie themselves down for an extended period of time. The other one I get is "Where do you dance?" This one gets a bit tougher since the wife and I travel all over North America as well as take dance themed cruises. This, unfortunately, also has the effect of overwhelming people and scaring them away.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:07 PM
jcmors

I remember when the AMA was able to work with the Government and the FCC to protect the radio frequencies that we all used at the time. It seemed that there was a general understanding of who and what the AMA was and what it represented and was recognized and respected for its relevance by the government and the general public. The AMA was granted "special" treatment by being granted a range of frequencies to be used for model aviation.
This is a very good example of action by the AMA in years gone by to support the hobby of model aviation. The difference between then and now is that I believe back then the AMA considered itself to represent RC model aircraft enthusiasts in general. The frequencies they secured for the RC hobby were secured for all who enjoyed the hobby. If our current AMA leadership were fighting for frequencies I believe they would be working at obtaining, for example, 2.4 ghz for use by only AMA members and those who wanted to use an RC aircraft transmitter would need to be a member.

I understand those who say that an organization fighting for special treatment for their members only is reasonable. I can't really argue with that philosophy.

On the other hand I know people who became members of the NRA simply because they fought for their rights as gun owners even before they were members and joined for the sole purpose of supporting the organization that was fighting for their rights. Imagine if people used the same reasoning to become AMA members because the AMA was fighting for and representing the rights of ALL model aircraft hobbyists rather than only paid members. I guess we will never know how well that might work... Just an odd thought...
Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by jcmors
This is a very good example of action by the AMA in years gone by to support the hobby of model aviation. The difference between then and now is that I believe back then the AMA considered itself to represent RC model aircraft enthusiasts in general. The frequencies they secured for the RC hobby were secured for all who enjoyed the hobby. If our current AMA leadership were fighting for frequencies I believe they would be working at obtaining, for example, 2.4 ghz for use by only AMA members and those who wanted to use an RC aircraft transmitter would need to be a member.
Actually, the AMA can't claim they did all of the work to get the radio frequencies we have now. They got a lot of help from the likes of NAMBA, IMPBA, Futaba, Airtronics, JR and many other places. Had it been only the AMA, we might have the 27MHz and 72MHz bands and that would be it, at least until 2.4GHz came along. This, however, is not the case. We have 27, 29, 49, 50, 72 and 75MHz bands(29 and 49 are only used for toys from places like Radio Shack and Walmart), with the 50MHz band requiring an FCC license and the ability to fine tune the frequency of the transmitter, showing that there had to be help from the HAM radio operators. 75MHz is used only for surface models so that had to have help from boating, cars, etc.
The difference now is that the AMA is going it alone, trying to get the federal government to do what they want, without the other organizations and industry's help. Without the "muscle" provided by the other organizations and the R/C industry to back them, the AMA has become no more than an insect to the FAA and Congress, an annoyance at best, something to be swatted away and ignored at worst.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by jcmors

I understand those who say that an organization fighting for special treatment for their members only is reasonable. I can't really argue with that philosophy.

On the other hand I know people who became members of the NRA simply because they fought for their rights as gun owners even before they were members and joined for the sole purpose of supporting the organization that was fighting for their rights. Imagine if people used the same reasoning to become AMA members because the AMA was fighting for and representing the rights of ALL model aircraft hobbyists rather than only paid members. I guess we will never know how well that might work... Just an odd thought...
Except gun ownership IS a right, flying model airplanes?,,,,not so much....
Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
  • Demonstrations.....These are a losing proposition from word go. People will come and watch, with the usual "WOW, THAT'S COOL!!!!" or similar reaction, but if you try to get someone to actually try the activity, they are gone faster than Speedy Gonzales. I've seen this happen in many hobby activities from R/C to dance. People will watch but don't ask them to try. People don't want to be seen failing. One wrong dance step or control input and that person is too embarrassed to try again and will be gone as fast as possible to prevent the possibility of having to try again.
You forgot one there. Sitting on ones arse waiting for Muncie to come up with some magic formula.

Not everything works everytime everywhere. But waiting for Muncie to drive or force in the members works even worse. Expanding the hobby is an activity that requires a lot of time for little return. It's always been that way. But it will do more for the hobby than sitting in front of the idiot box with another remote.

And I know of clubs who have been able to cash in on the good will generated by their community activities. When in need of a new flying site, the local government went to work for them and found one. In some cases the locals even helped prepare the new field.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:02 AM
Appowner
Banned

Except gun ownership IS a right, flying model airplanes?,,,,not so much....
True but, the AMA could take some lessons from the NRA none the less.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:04 AM
Propworn

As bad as you may think the AMA is it is the only organization that has argued on the side of modelers. You whiners, complainers, non members couldn't agree or get along within your own ranks long enough to form a rational group. In other words you guys couldn't organize a decent bowel movement in a two seater outhouse. How many years have you guys been bitxhing now and what have any of you done other than complain and wanting someone else to do the work. You guys are so off topic from what the op intended. All he wanted is recognition of his method of teaching people how to fly.

Good Grief
Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Propworn
As bad as you may think the AMA is it is the only organization that has argued on the side of modelers. You whiners, complainers, non members couldn't agree or get along within your own ranks long enough to form a rational group. In other words you guys couldn't organize a decent bowel movement in a two seater outhouse. How many years have you guys been bitxhing now and what have any of you done other than complain and wanting someone else to do the work. You guys are so off topic from what the op intended. All he wanted is recognition of his method of teaching people how to fly.

Good Grief
And yet it still is NOT the domain of some Canuck to tell us how to conduct our affairs.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:16 AM
speedracerntrixie

Even though he flies at AMA sanctioned sites more often then you do?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Propworn

Even though he flies at AMA sanctioned sites more often then you do?
Common sense, rational thinking and the intestinal fortitude of actually getting off the keyboard and doing something would never occur to these guys. Like watching the minion movie live. LOL

Last edited by Propworn; 03-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 AM
speedracerntrixie

Point made.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 03-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Propworn
As bad as you may think the AMA is it is the only organization that has argued on the side of modelers.
actually, that is what they are supposed (and get paid) to do. It’s their JOB. The complaints will continue as long as their performance (or lack thereof) merits it.
Originally Posted by propworn
In other words you guys couldn't organize a decent bowel movement in a two seater outhouse.
I can do it in one!

Astro
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM
speedracerntrixie

actually, that is what they are supposed (and get paid) to do. It’s their JOB. The complaints will continue as long as their performance (or lack thereof) merits it.
I can do it in one!

Astro

LOL , so Astro, do you know what the current status is on the AMA seeking exceptions for their paid customers is?

Not to mention that using some people's logic, if someone is not a US citizen one cannot comment on the status of the AMA. Wouldn't the same apply for non customers of the AMA? Sounds like guys are making up the rules as we go.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:49 AM
astrohog

LOL , so Astro, do you know what the current status is on the AMA seeking exceptions for their paid customers is?

Not specifically. The FAA has not announced any changes or exemptions. I will assume that anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Do you know? If so, I am all ears!

Not to mention that using some people's logic, if someone is not a US citizen one cannot comment on the status of the AMA. Wouldn't the same apply for non customers of the AMA? Sounds like guys are making up the rules as we go.
Not sure why you would say this in a post where you quoted me? I have never made statements like that AND I am an AMA member.

Astro
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

Not specifically. The FAA has not announced any changes or exemptions. I will assume that anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Do you know? If so, I am all ears!

Astro

Your previous post about a lack of performance would indicate you have knowledge that they failed at obtaining exemptions for their members. Just asking I'd you knew something the rest of us did not
Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
astrohog

Your previous post about a lack of performance would indicate you have knowledge that they failed at obtaining exemptions for their members. Just asking I'd you knew something the rest of us did not
There are no exemptions for members. That is fact. I guess it would be factual as well to say that the AMA has failed to obtain exemptions for its members, would it not? They have been trying to get exempt status for its members since the FAA started regulating drones...

Astro
Old 03-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

You forgot one there. Sitting on ones arse waiting for Muncie to come up with some magic formula.

Not everything works everytime everywhere. But waiting for Muncie to drive or force in the members works even worse. Expanding the hobby is an activity that requires a lot of time for little return. It's always been that way. But it will do more for the hobby than sitting in front of the idiot box with another remote.

And I know of clubs who have been able to cash in on the good will generated by their community activities. When in need of a new flying site, the local government went to work for them and found one. In some cases the locals even helped prepare the new field.
Okay, just to clarify my last post, I was talking about what we at the local levels have tried and the results thereof. Not saying they won't work in all areas, just that I've never seen these work in my areas. Where I have seen these kinds of activities work is at hobby expos and swap meets, for obvious reasons. People are there because they a either in the hobby already or they are looking for a way to get in to the hobby. Unlike the mall shows, which are normally nothing more than a show off session, the hobby expos and swap meets are R/C activities that are made for and cater to the R/C hobbyist and those that want to be

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-21-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

Correct, as of now there are no exceptions for AMA members. That does not mean they are not forthcoming. The FAA has NOT told AMA they will not grant any exceptions for AMA members as of yet.

In the meantime, I was at my local club field both Saturday and Sunday practicing the AMA Masters pattern sequence, impossible to do under 400’. Nobody cared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.