Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Poop has hit the fan !

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The Poop has hit the fan !

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:02 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

First paragraph has nothing to do with the topic.

Second paragraph is nothing but hearsay. You don't know what the atmosphere is at AMA HQ because you have never spent time there. Face value is opinion only! The financials DO NOT spell out the entire picture. Granted in that area things could be better I will give you that but guess what, the entire industry is not on sound financial ground right now. Yet you want to continue with the broken record. As I said before, slinging mud on a forum is going to accomplish nothing. If you really care about the hobby as you claim then prove it and get involved. What you are doing here is not involvement.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:13 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
First paragraph has nothing to do with the topic.
It was germane, in response to the virtue signaling post.
Second paragraph is nothing but hearsay. You don't know what the atmosphere is at AMA HQ because you have never spent time there. Face value is opinion only! The financials DO NOT spell out the entire picture. Granted in that area things could be better I will give you that but guess what, the entire industry is not on sound financial ground right now. Yet you want to continue with the broken record. As I said before, slinging mud on a forum is going to accomplish nothing. If you really care about the hobby as you claim then prove it and get involved. What you are doing here is not involvement.
I can get involved as I see fit. And how I see fit is to bring to attention the awful financial decision making of the AMA leadership over the past 15 or so years. "Financials do not spell out the whole picture?" or industry is in a bad place "[r]ight now?" Uhm.... AMA's total assets are DOWN 32% from their peak in 2002! But hey, at least it's consistent poor performance! It's dropped nearly every year. And meanwhile, the AMA's staff costs have risen 27% over the same period.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

........................ As I said before, slinging mud on a forum is going to accomplish nothing..............................
Then perhaps you should stop slinging?

I for one hope the AMA ignores me, Franklin and a host of others. I can think of no better way to hurry along the inevitable demise of the AMA than for them to continue as they have. Then we can get on with the whining and crying of all those who previously wished to kill the messengers.

Last edited by Appowner; 12-31-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The way I see it, the AMA is basically the proverbial "dead horse". The problem is that the AMA home office doesn't realize it and is doing everything they can to hasten its own demise. I don't think anyone in the EC, office staff or those that can't/won't see the writing on the wall want to believe it. Once the property in Muncie goes up for sale due to becoming insolvent, maybe the supporters will finally believe those that have been sounding the alarm for the past few years
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The way I see it, the AMA is basically the proverbial "dead horse". The problem is that the AMA home office doesn't realize it and is doing everything they can to hasten its own demise. I don't think anyone in the EC, office staff or those that can't/won't see the writing on the wall want to believe it. Once the property in Muncie goes up for sale due to becoming insolvent, maybe the supporters will finally believe those that have been sounding the alarm for the past few years
It was pretty shocking once I ran the numbers and corrected for inflation. Over a 30% drop in the value of their total assets! Anyone of us that presided over the kind of financial performance you're seeing of AMA would have been fired long ago. Yet they keep doing more of the same and hoping for a different result. Total revenue down. Membership revenue down. Charter club revenue down. Membership numbers down (per CFO in Jan MA). Ad revenue down. And what's up? Oh yeah, costs. Staff costs being a major source of it. And yet no cuts anywhere on the horizon.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:53 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
Then perhaps you should stop slinging?

I for one hope the AMA ignores me, Franklin and a host of others. I can think of no better way to hurry along the inevitable demise of the AMA than for them to continue as they have. Then we can get on with the whining and crying of all those who previously wished to kill the messengers.

LOL host of others........you mean the 10 or 12 guys between here and RCG. As I See it I'm the guy going out and enjoying the hobby on a regular basis. Sure Im here expressing my perspective at times but only a small fraction of my hobby time is spent doing this. Tomorrow while you are looking for ways to continue your grudge you have carried for over a decade I will be out flying and enjoying my day with friends and family. I will be sure to post some pictures as I know how much you look forward to them.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not all of us have the benefit of California sun at this time of the year. Just up the coast, we've had high winds, almost monsoon like rain, tornadoes and highs that have been lucky to break 40 degrees over the past month. It's been so cold that I've had to hold off on working on toys due to the temperature variation's affect on wood. In less than an hour, a piece of balsa I cut in my garage contracted almost 1/8th of an inch yesterday evening. It expanded that much just by warming it up in the house in roughly the same amount of time
BTW, I know you're not including me in the RCG comment as I don't have or want a membership there

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-31-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 PM
speedracerntrixie

No I don't have it quite that bad. Tomorrow we are looking at a high of 54 and winds of 15 mph. Not the greatest conditions but every New Year's Day this particular club has their Chilly and chili. There are multiple pots of chili simmering as we speak. A good part of the day will be spent eating chili and cornbread while swapping stories.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:15 PM
franklin_m

Not all of us have the benefit of California sun at this time of the year. Just up the coast, we've had high winds, almost monsoon like rain, tornadoes and highs that have been lucky to break 40 degrees over the past month. It's been so cold that I've had to hold off on working on toys due to the temperature variation's affect on wood. In less than an hour, a piece of balsa I cut in my garage contracted almost 1/8th of an inch yesterday evening. It expanded that much just by warming it up in the house in roughly the same amount of time
BTW, I know you're not including me in the RCG comment as I don't have or want a membership there
Concur. It's a totally unscientific observation, but it sure does seem to more enthusiastic AMA supporters in the warm weather states. Which makes sense I suppose, more opportunity to fly more often, thus better "bang for the buck" when it comes to club investments etc.

On the other hand, I shot skeet in the rain the other day. One of the wettest years on record here in PA.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 PM
speedracerntrixie

Are they not having indoor flying at Bellefonte area middle school this winter?
Old 12-31-2018, 10:10 PM
franklin_m

Are they not having indoor flying at Bellefonte area middle school this winter?
Wouldn't know. But probably doesn't matter, as I don't enjoy indoor flying anyway. Besides, 20 miles one way to fly indoor? Nope. I've got better use for my time.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I`ve decided indoor flying is not my thing either. In the gym after the club Christmas party my little foam Cub plowed into the basket ball hoop. My depth perception is really lousy indoors, I guess.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:42 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
I`ve decided indoor flying is not my thing either. In the gym after the club Christmas party my little foam Cub plowed into the basket ball hoop. My depth perception is really lousy indoors, I guess.
Why is it that as you grow older you need more space in which to navigate but can see less of it?
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 AM
fliers1

That's a big factor in hobby shop owners keeping their stores in business in the digital age, said Rob Gherman, who publishes the Hobby Merchandiser trade publication.In the age of Amazon, retail brick-and-mortar stores are falling. The hobby industry is no exception: In the last 30 years, the number of hobby shops listed in Hobby Merchandiser has dropped from 20,000 stores to 5,000 stores.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by fliers1
That's a big factor in hobby shop owners keeping their stores in business in the digital age, said Rob Gherman, who publishes the Hobby Merchandiser trade publication.In the age of Amazon, retail brick-and-mortar stores are falling. The hobby industry is no exception: In the last 30 years, the number of hobby shops listed in Hobby Merchandiser has dropped from 20,000 stores to 5,000 stores.
And that doesn't surprise me at all. From my area to south of Seattle, there used to be several large and medium sized hobby shops. Now there's one medium sized independent, two or three Hobbytowns and two or three very small shops that are specialized in what they sell. None of them carry kit planes, other than Guillows and only one carries any real building supplies.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Appowner
Banned

Growing up in my home town 55 years ago, the local hobby shop was in the basement of a hardware store. In the back door, past the lawn mower display and a hard right down the stairwell. It's where I got my start. But alas that store is no longer there. We have a Hobby Lobby now that has some really good plywood selections along with balsa but that's about it. Nearest traditional "hobby shop" is some 12 miles away in the next town. But he carries nothing RC. About 50% railroad, lots of collectibles and plastics. Up side they have the paints normally associated with the railroads. Good deal there. Closest RC hobby shop is 35 miles. Two actually but in opposite directions. With the after effects of my cancer treatments 35 miles is a difficult trip to make.

I'll buy local when I can but all too often I find I must go mail order.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll buy local when I can but all too often I find I must go mail order.
Same here. I wish you a speedy recovery from your cancer!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Same here. I wish you a speedy recovery from your cancer!
Cancer is gone. Side effects of the treatments are what's hammering me now. Radiation fried nerves in my back and took away use of my legs. 4 years later I can walk with a cane and leg braces having recovered far more than the doctors expected. Surgery, chemo, whatever really messed up my bathroom habits. Up to 2 dozen trips a day and not to urinate. Blocked and perforated intestines resulting in emergency hospital stay. Been a rough road. But I'm still kicking.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:32 PM
franklin_m

Cancer is gone. Side effects of the treatments are what's hammering me now. Radiation fried nerves in my back and took away use of my legs. 4 years later I can walk with a cane and leg braces having recovered far more than the doctors expected. Surgery, chemo, whatever really messed up my bathroom habits. Up to 2 dozen trips a day and not to urinate. Blocked and perforated intestines resulting in emergency hospital stay. Been a rough road. But I'm still kicking.
Fight it. Fight it in the morning, fight it during the day, fight it at night. Fight it hard, each and every moment. You’re stronger than this. Each of the side effects is beatable. Relish in what you can do, and then fight to do more and more every day.

You’ve got this.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Fight it. Fight it in the morning, fight it during the day, fight it at night. Fight it hard, each and every moment. You’re stronger than this. Each of the side effects is beatable. Relish in what you can do, and then fight to do more and more every day.

You’ve got this.
Not to worry Franklin, I am. I'm a Wolverine (Michigan, the state and school). Once I latch on to something I rarely let go. My surgeon (Navy) at Bethesda calls me a hero. But he's my hero. Saved my ass on two occasions. Can't let his hard work go to waste. And I have a good wife and family behind me. It's all good!

4 years ago when the radiation finally killed my legs, the Neurologists at Bethesda, NIH and Johns Hopkins all shook their heads and said I'd probably never walk again. I give them credit though. They spent 7 months trying various things. One ran a million dollars. Today I walk with a cane and ankle braces. And I really don't need the cane that much anymore. Thanks to a Physical Therapist who took me on. Yeah, I was motivated, she's cute, blond and 28. But now I drive, ride my Harley and pretty much get around normally. I can even shoot my 44 mag again without tipping over.

To control the bathroom runs I have to really monitor what, when and how much I eat. My system doesn't process water as well as it use to. So basically too much food, either all at once or over the course of a day, can over load my system and throw it into a panic. And a dozen or more bathroom trips. And it doesn't take a lot of food to do it. A Big Mac (or similar) at the wrong time can really mess things up for me. I have a chemistry set of pro-biotics, fiber supplements, various meds and the ever present water glass/bottle. I have to avoid hard foods like nuts and popcorn. And carbonated drinks are down to one every other day. Main rule, if I don't "Feel" hungry, I don't eat.

A lot of this hasn't been so much what to do or take but WHEN to do it. I use to take fiber first thing in the morning but that wasn't doing much. So I recently changed that to lunch time and afternoon. Seems to be helping more at those times. Pro-biotic is the very first thing in the morning when I wake up. And any time I make minor changes, I need to go a month or more to make sure it is or isn't doing what I'm after. Slow process and some of it is still something of a SWAG. But little by little things get better.

I'm reminded of the old joke where the body parts are discussing who should be in charge. The brain, stomach, legs, etc all had their reasons why they should control the body. But I'm here to tell you, it takes an A..hole to run the show. Have no doubts about it!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gee, is the forum closed or something? Two days and not one post by anyone, pro or con, over the AMA?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Appowner
Banned

Gee, is the forum closed or something? Two days and not one post by anyone, pro or con, over the AMA?
Snow! Big one predicted. Supposedly 14 inches by Tuesday. Busy checking and stocking up on supplies. Chips? Check! Ice Cream? Check! Soda? Check! Wine? Check! Drambuie? Check! TV Schedule? Check! Got the essentials!

Just a dusting so far though the temps will support more.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Snow is one thing I don't have to worry about, not yet anyway. Not to make lite of the wicked storm that's been crossing the country but I have scattered showers and 50 today in the Puget Sound Basin. For me, that means:
Plywood? Check!
West Systems Epoxy? Check!
Assorted Clamps? Check!
Free Time? Check!
Pizza Place Order Number? CHECK TIMES 3!!!!!
Guess I'm good to go as well
Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Appowner
Banned

Snow is one thing I don't have to worry about, not yet anyway. Not to make lite of the wicked storm that's been crossing the country but I have scattered showers and 50 today in the Puget Sound Basin. For me, that means:
Plywood? Check!
West Systems Epoxy? Check!
Assorted Clamps? Check!
Free Time? Check!
Pizza Place Order Number? CHECK TIMES 3!!!!!
Guess I'm good to go as well
Well, where I'm at in Michigan we're sheltered from most storms. The worse going to the north or south of us. If/when we get 8 inches or more, the rest of the state is pretty much buried. High temp today was 31. 27 for tomorrow, 16 for Sunday and 7 for Monday. Serious snow, if we get any should start in the morning. Time to get the skis out for a model. Or maybe.....an airboat!